So the horse I ride has some interesting behaviors with me that I've never had a horse do before, I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas.
The main thing is that when I dismount, he stands still for about a second, and if I don't move, he backs up and puts his head in line with my body. He will also sometimes back up if we are walking on the ground without contact and I tell him to stop, and his head isn't next to me.
Also trying to adjust stirrups, if I don't sidestep with my body almost flat against him, he pivots and puts his head to me.
Mounting at the block is also becoming a problem, he tries to move like he's over-reading my body language, backing, walking, and pivoting.
As far as I know, no one else that rides him has these experiences. He's not well trained for anything like that(showmanship, lunging, body language things), I'm not pressing any buttons. It's so odd and he's just started doing it the last few months.
We do have a very good bond and I wonder if it's somewhat a reflection of that, but he wasn't doing it last year. Thoughts?
In my mind the horse is giving you personal space ‘pivoting’ towards you is a sign of respect (giving you his eyes instead of his butt)

In my mind the horse is giving you personal space ‘pivoting’ towards you is a sign of respect (giving you his eyes instead of his butt)
That could be part of it, though on the other hand it's a little disrespectful to ignore the "whoa" at the mounting block. Unless he thinks I'm trying to tell him to do something else. My body language is a lot different at the block than when I ground mount. Ground mounting he will mostly stand still.

That could be part of it, though on the other hand it's a little disrespectful to ignore the "whoa" at the mounting block. Unless he thinks I'm trying to tell him to do something else. My body language is a lot different at the block than when I ground mount. Ground mounting he will mostly stand still.
Yes I see what you’re saying

❤️
20230328_175359.jpg

Yeah but she’s literally so annoying. Last time we ran out of hard feed she stole my high energy feed and fed all the horse with it (without my permission). And the next thing I see is videos of some of those horses going totally crazy (with kids on them). She also openly admitted to stealing people’s feed. So yeah :)
That’s so crazy! Why does she think she can do that??

Back
Top Bottom