Our last retired mare passed away a couple of weeks ago. No idea what was wrong with her except that it wasn't colic. She just basically laid down in the field and wouldn't get up again. We called 5 different vets and no one could come right away. We were also expecting a hellacious storm with tornados and hail so I couldn't bring myself to just leave her in the pasture. Eventually DH, a friend, and I decided to pull a MacGyver move by rolling her onto a gate panel and then pull it using our truck to get her into the barn JUST before the weather cut loose. We sat with her in the barn for hours and hours until the vet finally came by to euthanize her. It was so very sad although she had a good long life (26 yrs) and was very loved & cared for...

View attachment 3799250

For the first time in 20 years, we do not have horses to care for daily.... The farm seems eerily empty and quiet. We DO still own horses, they just are being leased out. When they eventually retire in the years ahead, I'm sure they may come back here. It's just sad and lonely without them...
I’m so sorry!

Our last retired mare passed away a couple of weeks ago. No idea what was wrong with her except that it wasn't colic. She just basically laid down in the field and wouldn't get up again. We called 5 different vets and no one could come right away. We were also expecting a hellacious storm with tornados and hail so I couldn't bring myself to just leave her in the pasture. Eventually DH, a friend, and I decided to pull a MacGyver move by rolling her onto a gate panel and then pull it using our truck to get her into the barn JUST before the weather cut loose. We sat with her in the barn for hours and hours until the vet finally came by to euthanize her. It was so very sad although she had a good long life (26 yrs) and was very loved & cared for...

View attachment 3799250

For the first time in 20 years, we do not have horses to care for daily.... The farm seems eerily empty and quiet. We DO still own horses, they just are being leased out. When they eventually retire in the years ahead, I'm sure they may come back here. It's just sad and lonely without them...
Im so sorry for your loss

i had a lesson yesterday on a big old boy and it took me like 10 minutes to get on because i got anxious D: (he was soooo good though, just very big movements)
I usually never have an issue, I don't know why I was so scared? I've ridden horses that big before and been totally fine. I know I was partially worried about not being able to get off, but I usually don't worry about that until it's time. (For context: I have some mobility issues that have worsened in my hips and it's affecting my leg rotation, I can't swing my leg over a horse to dismount very easily anymore)
I don't really have mobility issues, except for the typical ones due to advanced age! Still, I can understand - I don't enjoy riding anyone over 16.2 any more - well, I totally enjoy the riding, but I'm worried about getting off. Even dismounting my 15.2 OTTB, I can't really spring down any more and if I'm not careful it's really jarring on my hips, knees and ankles. I've started using a mounting block to get off, as well as get on. My mare isn't totally great about that yet, but we're working on it and when she stands still it's quite a relief!
Maybe you could try that?

I don't really have mobility issues, except for the typical ones due to advanced age! Still, I can understand - I don't enjoy riding anyone over 16.2 any more - well, I totally enjoy the riding, but I'm worried about getting off. Even dismounting my 15.2 OTTB, I can't really spring down any more and if I'm not careful it's really jarring on my hips, knees and ankles. I've started using a mounting block to get off, as well as get on. My mare isn't totally great about that yet, but we're working on it and when she stands still it's quite a relief!
Good idea

I was just wondering if anyone has any good tips on how to bond with your horse? I don’t have one but maybe one day!
Lots of ground work! With praise and the occasional treat when they pay attention to you and make a good try to do what you ask. Start by leading through easy obstacles like pole mazes on the ground, progress to walking over poles, a tarp on the ground, more advanced trail obstacles if you have access, or make up some of your own!
The main thing is never punish them if they do it wrong, just break down the task into smaller steps and reward each small step. This develops trust, which is the foundation of making your horse your friend.

We are now renting actually at a giant training facility that is largely used by people with race horses. It's 93 acres, much bigger than the 7 acres I've grown up with. Ginger is a little freaked out but starting to settle in.
Maybe Ginger recognizes it as a racehorse training facility and she's harking back to her youth as a racehorse? Thinking she might get to race and hoping she's still fast, or more likely, just enjoying the more open landscape at her new place.
LOL, honestly every picture you post of Ginger she looks better and better! Shining coat, more muscular, happier demeanor.
I bet she'll grow to love her new place - go Ginger!

The picture below is at his new home.
image000006.jpeg
Why did he move so you couldn't lease him any more? Was your lease temporary until someone bought him?
That happened to me a couple times various many years ago, so heartbreaking.
At least your cutie looks happy in his new home. I hope you can still ride.

According to how fast his feet are growing and his massive demeanor change, he is on track to be light riding in June! He may be medium riding later in the summer or fall, due entirely to getting his sugars down!  Do not underestimate diet changes! They can make all the difference.
So true! Laminitis, if it's caught early before the coffin bone has rotated, can be corrected with the right hoof care, and the rest of their life on a low-sugar diet, and limited grass-pasture.

my main problem seems to be just getting my leg over, after that I'm ok! it's loosened up a bit the last few weeks, so I've been ok for now. Now, adjusting my stirrups... that hurts

Back
Top Bottom