Hose or water source for cleaning

mrybells

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2020
Alpharetta, Ga
I am trying to find the perfect spot for the coop but I don't think I will have a water source in reach. How many times a year will I need to use the hose to clean? I did see some people use a rain barrel but I wasn't sure if that was just for drinking water.

You don't need a hose to clean inside your coop. You want the inside to stay dry. A scraper and a cobweb brush are my main tools. When I change the bedding (once a year or longer) I shovel it out and scrape the floor, if any dry poop remains.

Wet cleaning of a chicken coop is unnecessary except in extremely unusual circumstances.

Buying another 100' roll or two of hose should solve watering issues except for the very worst winters in your area if you don't want to run a line out there. Just beware how hot water from a hose can get on a sunny summer day.

How many times a year will I need to use the hose to clean?
Never.

Buying another 100' roll or two of hose should solve watering issues except for the very worst winters in your area if you don't want to run a line out there. Just beware how hot water from a hose can get on a sunny summer day.
Indeed.
I just carry out a gallon jug daily to top off waterers.

Back
Top Bottom