Hosing down your chickens

aryellec

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2016
Grand Rapids, MI
I was out fillinf rhe water bowls and i like to dampen the run when i do as well to keep them cool and because i have rotting wood that i rotate for bugs. Well today for the very first time while i was spraying in the run, the girls didnt run away. They stood there and allowed themselves to get sprayed. Ive never hosed them before. Am i supposed to be hosing them? is it ok if they get hosed? the water is obviously very cold and im in Northwestern area of michigan so its not terribly warm here and the last couple of days were below 60. why would they be doing that? Thanks

this is pretty interesting.. since my chickens will run at the sound of running water!

if it's below 60.. maybe it's not a good idea..

also if they are wet and they transfer the water from their head or body into the feed..if left there for a while.. moldy feed can be toxic to them

That is good to know! I knew moldy hay can kill cows, because ive seen it happen. I didnt know the same could hapoen with chickens and chicken food so thank you

Mine like a mister but it is incredibly hot and humid where we are. When we first put it outside their run they tried to avoid it, but as the temps rose they now do get in the mist.

Mine like a mister but it is incredibly hot and humid where we are. When we first put it outside their run they tried to avoid it, but as the temps rose they now do get in the mist.

I also have a mister and they do gather around it. They feel the cool. I just hooked it up today at around 3 pm and I was too late as I found on of my older favorite hens dead next to the run fence. I will miss Henny Penny she would drink water from my hand and let me pet her since she was a chick. She recently stopped laying, but was alert and active again. going into her second year. Since March of 2014. I also put out two green tea gallon jugs with frozen water for them to get around in the shade of the new coop. I am sure it is around 100 degrees temperature out there. A light wind.

Back
Top Bottom