Hospital to ban odor of smoke on workers' clothes.

Yep, sorry, that's gone way too far, and I don't smoke.

Coffee drinkers are far more numbered than smokers and they REEK, yet no one complains. I don't think there should be a ban, just a policy or a talk about the issue.

Quote:
I think there are complaints because the cigarette smoke smell does cause an allergic reaction or is harmful to some with illnesses. Coffee, even though makes stinky breath, doesn't cause an issue. I agree that perfumes/colognes and other highly scented products should be looked at, too.

Actually, my company has a Scent free policy. No perfume, scented deoderant, scented lotion, scented anything.... I also have a can of concentrated air freshner in my office that's used in the bathroom (yeah go figure, that stuff is ok?), in my office because the smokers always want to stop by my office and chat... well it about gags me! I spray my office after they leave.

I recently borrowed a sleep apthnea machine from my Dr office... the strap that I had to wear, reaked SO bad of smoke I took the thing apart and washed it. There was NO WAY I could have slept with that stench.

In just about any business or on a personal level, I could careless about allowing people to smoke outside, or to smoke at all...if thats their choice, just allow me a clear path in and out of the business and while I'm there spending my money. (so please don't smoke in front of the doors).

But in the hospital area, where people are more helpless, maybe less able to communicate, and are not able to get away from you, or their life depend on your care, you shouldn't be reaking like an old wet ashtray. GAG!
sickbyc.gif

I think they should have lockers where they can store their work clothes and change into street clothes, away from the home etc. .. cause thats getting a little too close to interfering in the home where no one needs to be sticking their necks. What rules they want to make at the job, they can make, but stay outa my house!

Such toxins present a special danger for the developing brains of infants and small children.

I do agree that children and infants should not be exposed to third hand smoke. As an aunt and step-momma to kids with cig smoke allergies, I think that precautions should be made by smokers who will be around chidren but it is a person's right to smoke or not to smoke (I'm 6 months smoke free).
What we do up my way is the hospital employees put on sweaters and leave the property to smoke and remove the sweaters before they enter the property again. It works for them. And I like it. They are being smart without quitting what they want to.​

A.T. Hagan :

They should then also ban all perfumes, colognes, scented deodorants/antiperspirants, and anything else that forces other people to breathe the odors that people choose to douse themselves with. It's the same principle.

Nearly all hospitals do ban anything strongly scented. If you come in smelling like you took a bath in cheap perfume, at least where my mother works as an RN, you get written up and sent home. Scent free lotions are provided so nurses don't cake themselves in Bath and Body Works's smelly, awful moisturizer. Most nurses understand this. I am sure any nurse can give you a story of projectile vomit from a patient because of a noxious smell. They don't want to be covered in the trigger for such an event!​

Quote:
I particularly like your last paragraph and yes I,ve always followed the rules at work but when I get into my car and head home to my house that's where the JOBS RULES STOP. Ok here's a question for you folks who have been bashing smokers. Would you rather your Doctor or Nurse to be a smoker,drinker or drugger????
hmm.png

A.T. Hagan :

They should then also ban all perfumes, colognes, scented deodorants/antiperspirants, and anything else that forces other people to breathe the odors that people choose to douse themselves with. It's the same principle.

x2, I 'd rather smell cig smoke than some one who od'd on their perfume any day. It gives me such a headache.​

As one who just spent a month in the hospital, I'm all for it.

The hospital in question however had a SCENT free policy, no perfumes, no colognes, etc. Which while I may have liked my lavender oil or something, I didn't have to smell some nurses horrid chemical perfume or the smoke from a heavy smoker, and it was done to keep my children and me healthy. I can suck it up like a big girl for a month.

Smoke, due to the crap I grew up with, is a very serious allergen to me. As in when I was already having problems keeping good O2 sats, smoke would have caused them to drop further, pushing towards the nasty 70s. Which is not what anyone wants, ever.

Quote:
I particularly like your last paragraph and yes I,ve always followed the rules at work but when I get into my car and head home to my house that's where the JOBS RULES STOP. Ok here's a question for you folks who have been bashing smokers. Would you rather your Doctor or Nurse to be a smoker,drinker or drugger????
hmm.png

I didn't read the entire thread, and I hope that nothing I said came across as bashing smokers. I smoked, I understand the addiction and the pleasure. I don't condemn smokers (unless they are smoking around children who can't get away) but there are areas where it's just not acceptable. I wouldnt come to work smelling of chicken and cow poop and be shocked to be complained about....

All the hospitals where I have worked have a no perfume etc policy. No talk about smoke odor yet. I imagine it fall under no odors policy. Also no smoking on campus.
Where i work now, they have added nicotene to the drug test. Test positive and you will not be hired. Lie about it and you will be fired.
Since I don't smoke it really doesn't bother me. I have never worn much colognes etc, because when I did some I would gag myself with the combo.
sickbyc.gif

Imp

Back
Top Bottom