hostile muscovy duckling HELP

Rachele anne

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 30, 2014
I have 5 Muscovy ducklings about 3 weeks old and I have hatched them from eggs ... ive been very hands on with them from day one. I cuddle with them and sit with them and also take them outside and let them play in the little kiddy. Pool they follow me and think I'm mom ... so my problem is I have one which ithink is male do to his larger size that has out of no where starthin hissing at me and striking and biting my hands ive also seen him do this to his siblings .. does anyone have any clue why this little duckling has desired I'm the enemey?... any advice is welcome .. and thanks in advance.

I don't know Muscovies other than what I read here, but I wonder if his hormones are kicking in and he sees you as competition?

I know my Runners, at 3 weeks, started acting quite different around me, and I understand that it was part of their development process.

I have a drake mallard, I hatched him and hand raised him, VERY hands on. He cuddles, sleeps on my lap, lives inside the house, and so on. As he got older he did act out toward me with snapping and pecking at me, and not wanting me to pet him. He still wants to climb in my lap and still follows me like a shadow. He also gets very upset at me if I leave the room without him. I think it's a male thing and I'm trying to use treats and positive reinforcement to calm him back down

I would respond in the same way a mother duck would, that would be to challenge him back! He needs to know young that you are 'head duck'. Just respond with your hand the same way he does until he backs down. Hopefully once he sees that challenging you does no good, he will not continue it into adulthood when he could hurt you or someone else.

Yay I was trying that I was gently putting my hand on his head and he would stop and lay his head down

Back
Top Bottom