Hot breakfast

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by EggNoob, Jan 1, 2011.

1. EggNoob

EggNoob Out Of The Brooder

With the mornings being cold, I have been making my chickens a hot breakfast to get them warmed up. Seems to be a hit. I use what ever cheap oatmeal, puffed wheat/rice, or cooked rice that I can find. Usually mix in a bit of what ever veggies left over from dinner or some chopped up raw greens. The other day I got caught without anything to feed for the next morning.. so I took a cup of their "scratching grains", put it in a pot to simmer and made a whole bunch of breakfast fare for .. well.. for the price of chicken feed.. Anyone else have any good ideas for treats?

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    no sorry. I feed mine about the same. But I have read on here about when you give them fresh water in the morning(if it freezes). To take them warm water. I have started doing that and for my goats too. They seem to love it. Good luck

3. Lyon3mchics

Lyon3mchics Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    Northern Michigan
    My family thinks I am strange ....I cook my girls a hot breakfast too. I served them warm cooked noodles....loved it!

4. EggNoob

EggNoob Out Of The Brooder

Yes! They love left over spaghetti.. throw a few handfulls out and "keep away" ensues.

5. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

I've done warmed up pumpkin with some bits of whatever leftovers we have thrown in. Pumpkin is a HUGE hit.

6. BitsyB

BitsyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern Delaware
    I've done warmed up pumpkin with some bits of whatever leftovers we have thrown in. Pumpkin is a HUGE hit.

Do you use canned pumpkin or fresh? I split open a pumpkin for my girls and they just looked at it... But I've heard it's very good for them.

Love the spaghetti "keep away"!

I cook the same breakfast for my chickens as I eat- oatmeal w/ fruit (frozen in winter, they do love mango) and some plain yogurt
    (Yes, some say they are spoiled, I say they are well-cared for...[​IMG] )​

7. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Seminole, Oklahoma
    I tried the warm oatmeal thing this morning. My chicks wouldn't hear of it, they went strait for the Fancy Scratch. [​IMG]

8. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    I feed ground and cooked, well heated anyway, Sweet Cob.

9. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    I give my chickens warm oatmeal every evening to help them thru out the cold nights. I make it kind of runny so there is plenty of liquid for them as well. They love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by