Hot breakfast

EggNoob

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 6, 2010
Just south of Louisville Ky
With the mornings being cold, I have been making my chickens a hot breakfast to get them warmed up. Seems to be a hit. I use what ever cheap oatmeal, puffed wheat/rice, or cooked rice that I can find. Usually mix in a bit of what ever veggies left over from dinner or some chopped up raw greens. The other day I got caught without anything to feed for the next morning.. so I took a cup of their "scratching grains", put it in a pot to simmer and made a whole bunch of breakfast fare for .. well.. for the price of chicken feed.. Anyone else have any good ideas for treats?

no sorry. I feed mine about the same. But I have read on here about when you give them fresh water in the morning(if it freezes). To take them warm water. I have started doing that and for my goats too. They seem to love it. Good luck

I've done warmed up pumpkin with some bits of whatever leftovers we have thrown in. Pumpkin is a HUGE hit.

Do you use canned pumpkin or fresh? I split open a pumpkin for my girls and they just looked at it... But I've heard it's very good for them.

Love the spaghetti "keep away"!

I cook the same breakfast for my chickens as I eat- oatmeal w/ fruit (frozen in winter, they do love mango) and some plain yogurt
(Yes, some say they are spoiled, I say they are well-cared for...
smile.png
)​

I give my chickens warm oatmeal every evening to help them thru out the cold nights. I make it kind of runny so there is plenty of liquid for them as well. They love it!

Back
Top Bottom