Hot chicks and rain

The_Flock

Songster
Aug 24, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Hi peeps. I have a question. I have 13 - 4 week old chicks. They seem to have most of their feathers now. They are outside in a mobile coop and it has been VERY hot. The only place I can put them to get out of the rain is the roosting area in the coop. That is 4'L×4'W×2'H. The problem is that it's raining out and it's super hot in the roosting area. I have hardware cloth covering all of the openings to let air in but it's still above 30°C in there and they pant. I have a canopy tent thing covering most of the coop
So my question is...Is it ok that they get a tad bit wet at this age and in this heat?

They need a much bigger coop and plenty of ventilation. We got to 116 the other day. The coop was around 95. I'm thinking because of the shade and amount of ventilation. Packing 13 birds in a tiny coop will surely generate more heat also.

They need a much bigger coop and plenty of ventilation. We got to 116 the other day. The coop was around 95. I'm thinking because of the shade and amount of ventilation. Packing 13 birds in a tiny coop will surely generate more heat also.

The coop isn't that big, just the indoor roosting area is. The outdoor area is 8'×4' with an additional area where we covered a trampoline and fenced it in.
If they can't be in the rain then I would only have that tiny indoor roosting area to keep them. And I think it's waaay too small too.
That's why I'm hoping they can withstand a little bit of wetness.

The coop isn't that big, just the indoor roosting area is. The outdoor area is 8'×4' with an additional area where we covered a trampoline and fenced it in.
If they can't be in the rain then I would only have that tiny indoor roosting area to keep them. And I think it's waaay too small too.
Chickens can be in the rain. I have part of my run covered and while all the others were staying dry under it I had one that just stood in the down pour. I question her brains most days. I do think it would be a good idea to provide mor shelter from the elements. They will get bigger and the ones lowest in the pecking order will be forced out of the shelter if there is no room.

Chickens can be in the rain. I have part of my run covered and while all the others were staying dry under it I had one that just stood in the down pour. I question her brains most days. I do think it would be a good idea to provide mor shelter from the elements. They will get bigger and the ones lowest in the pecking order will be forced out of the shelter if there is no room.

One of my adult chickens love the rain too. Lol.

So their age doesn't concern you then? I don't feel bad then. 😊

Back
Top Bottom