My 7 week old chicks panic if I don’t bring them in at night

Fontaine

Songster
Jun 20, 2020
Naples Florida
most concerning to me is the Florida heat. If I leave them out there I’m afraid they will get so worked up they’ll have heat stroke. The coolest temps are 75 at night 90s plus during the day. I have an openTo the coop screened area that I’ve let them play in all day for a week. I transport the 8 chicks to and from the house in a tub . i’ve divided the inside of the coop to separate them from the four elderly ladies for now. The chicks can access the play area to the covered Cooperia as it’s not closed off during the day they go in the coop area,Sit on the roasts and relax. At first, I covered the hardware cloth dividing the two groups with fabric, so the chicks would feel more secure without the hens staring at them.What I am needing advice on is, I am able to enclose the chicks in the roost area at night by placingA board in front of the opening to their place area. They have roasts in there and I even brought their brooder plate not plugged in but something familiar. there would be ventilation on top and all three sides, but it still would be hot. Any suggestions? Do you think if I waited till they were olderCould they tolerate the heat better? They are fully feathered I really want them to learn to roost inThe coop not in the play area. That area is predator proof also but why draw attention to their selves in the night once they start sleeping in the coopI will let them out in the divided fenced area toIntroduced them to the others. I have two barred rocks, one Rhode Island red, andOne silver laced Wyandotte.I’ll try to post pictures of the set up. The play area shownIs rarely used by the hensAs they all “free range “ within a large fenced an overhead netted area..I love these chicks and don’t wanna lose one to heat stroke. T.I included a picture of the arrangement in the house so you can see it’s not a matter of taking a broader and setting it in the coop so they are familiar with it. There is no room for that fence or any part of it.I’d welcome any suggestions you might have. Thanks!

Attachments

• 66126402-99F6-4852-806C-FC454F748B01.jpeg
    66126402-99F6-4852-806C-FC454F748B01.jpeg
    840.9 KB · Views: 21
  • B8884B41-E782-4EDE-A141-452D42D6F4D6.jpeg
    B8884B41-E782-4EDE-A141-452D42D6F4D6.jpeg
    483.4 KB · Views: 10
  • CF3C55BA-E668-4BE5-93BC-D5D41B966564.jpeg
    CF3C55BA-E668-4BE5-93BC-D5D41B966564.jpeg
    676.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 117C1932-7628-4EA4-8DA0-3AD7B714F9EE.jpeg
    117C1932-7628-4EA4-8DA0-3AD7B714F9EE.jpeg
    583.8 KB · Views: 8
I have to add or should’ve stressed. I can work with the heat but it’s the panicked chicks in the heat that has me worried they want to come in the house where they’re used to sleeping. They just scream and scream until I come and get them.

Ignore them, they have you trained, they need to get used to the heat. you can even give them a few shallow holes to dig in. They have plenty of deep shade and water. They don't need any extra heat with those temperatures.

Ignore them, they have you trained, they need to get used to the heat. you can even give them a few shallow holes to dig in. They have plenty of deep shade and water. They don't need any extra heat with those temperatures.
Yes, I agree they have me trained! The Brooder plate was just for looks to make them feel at home. They tolerate the heat fine during the day, but my fear was if they’re so upset when it gets dark and their “ ride” home hasn’t appearedThey get hysterical and I’m afraid, they’ll overheat. When it gets dark, they pile up, and they all scream and scream. I can ignore that, but I’m afraid of them overheating.Somehow, this was easier with the children!

Do you think if I waited till they were older Could they tolerate the heat better?
No, I do not think that would help. When they are older, the weather will also be even hotter. And if they sleep indoors every night, they will not be used to the outdoor temperature then either.

If you raise chicks again in the future, maybe try brooding them right in the coop. 90 degrees is fine for just-hatched chicks, and a brooder plate will keep them warm enough at night. That way they can be used to the temperatures, and sleeping in the coop, from the very beginning.

But for this batch, it's probably better to just ignore their fuss and get it over with. (You can check your weather forecast, and pick a day that is a little cooler rather than a little hotter, if that will help you worry less.)

Thanks. Definitely if I do this again, I’ve learned my lesson! I should’ve added to my too lengthy post that what made me concerned was after They screamed for an hour and I brought them in. They literally collapsed in a pile and fell asleep. They’ve been using the roosting bars for two weeks now to sleep so I know how exhausted they were. I was just thinking, how would they be after screaming all night? That’s not a question for you it’s just my thoughts! I just don’t want anything to happen to these chicks as I’ve had so many losses of some much loved hens.

Thanks. Definitely if I do this again, I’ve learned my lesson! I should’ve added to my too lengthy post that what made me concerned was after They screamed for an hour and I brought them in. They literally collapsed in a pile and fell asleep. They’ve been using the roosting bars for two weeks now to sleep so I know how exhausted they were. I was just thinking, how would they be after screaming all night? That’s not a question for you it’s just my thoughts! I just don’t want anything to happen to these chicks as I’ve had so many losses of some much loved hens.

Did you bring them in after dark, or before dark?

Chicks usually fall asleep soon after dark, no matter how much fuss they make as the sun goes down. (Of course "usually" means there could be some exceptions.)

But I do not think they would really scream all night. At some point, they would get exhausted and fall asleep in the pen. And if they did manage to scream all night, they should certainly be tired enough to sleep the NEXT night.

Thanks for your reply. Yes it was dark out. The “big girls were sleeping on their roosts. They must’ve been wearing ear plugs😁

You have some impressive chicks, although not in a good way. Most chicks would have shushed up and fallen asleep by then!

I can't think of anything else useful, since I am sure you do not want to be bringing them for every night of their lives, or even every night until the weather gets cooler in the fall.

Back
Top Bottom