Hot cold can they get?

Want2BFarmer

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
PA
Hello Everyone,

My Wife has loved our spring flock of cornish x rocks so much I got the go ahead for a fall Harvest. I live in PA so it starts to get cold in November. How cold can it get before it is bad for the chickens. I am hoping to start them by the beginning of September and butcher in the beginning of November? What do all of you suggest?

Can't wait to raise some chicks again...

You'll be fine- I have a weeklong training at the end of September that I can't get out of, so I am starting mine after that because I don't trust my wife with $1000 worth of chickens!

They do MUCH better in the cold than in the hot. You'll help them if you put a tarp over them at night and keep a heat lamp on them at night also, but you don't HAVE to. They can handle freezing temps after about three weeks if they're feathered out.

how long do you keep them under the lamp. I'm used to watching over them when its freezing out but if its 65 at nite I think the chicks should be fine after a week or two

I wouldn't worry about it. They will be gaining some mass and be feathered by the really cold weather. Many of us keep chickens, without secondary heat, though -30. If they are well fed, fully feathered, and large enough to have some real body mass, they should be fine.

I'd keep them indoors in the brooder until they're pretty well feathered out, but beyond that, it's not really an issue. I cover/heat my pen if it seems like it's going to be really cold.

When I brought my "day-old chicks" home from the feedstore last Spring, our night temps were 40 F, more or a little less.

They had a heat lamp about 2 feet above them and they could move closer or further away (outside run about 100 square feet). They also had a tarp over part of the area so they could avoid getting wet.

All 16 did very well.

just what happened here..........

smile.png
-Junkmanme-
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom