Hot composting with chicken bedding and garden waste

Today's update:

Outside air temp: 8 C (46 F)
Compost bin air temp: 44 C (111 F)
Core temp: 67 C (153 F)

The insulation of the box is working pretty well though, the outside surface of the box feels cool to the touch, and I don't see any steam leaking out either, so this thing might actually make it through the winter without becoming a giant poopsicle.

Today's update:

Outside air temp: 8 C (46 F)
Compost bin air temp: 44 C (111 F)
Core temp: 67 C (153 F)

The insulation of the box is working pretty well though, the outside surface of the box feels cool to the touch, and I don't see any steam leaking out either, so this thing might actually make it through the winter without becoming a giant poopsicle.
Nice! I keep thinking of your insulated box as I check my cold fenced in pile...maybe someday.

I've read many times that old freezer chests make for great composts, and that's probably true. But all of the articles make a point of mentioning that you need to get the coolant drained from them first though, which is a good idea too in my opinion, but none have mentioned a any way to get this done. It's not something that should be attempted at home, and I have no idea what someone would charge for emptying it, or where I would find someone willing to do it. The only websites mentioning that kind of service have said that they do not do it. But it would be a good base to build on, you just need to add drainage to the bottom and air intake close to the top. Throwing together my box wasn't too much of a hassle either though. Just keep your eyes open for polystyrene, or better yet, polyurethane. I got my insulation when the house on the neighboring plot was torn down, and the wood was leftovers from the coop build (and leftovers before that too), so I think I ended up spending about 10 euros on my box, since I was a bit short on tarps. Oh, the paint I payed for too.

I would build it, if I could allocate a permanent placement, but it's just not high on the project priority list right now.

Also think it's more the balance of ingredients, and timely maintenance, rather than the container that is my issue with these 2 batches I have.

I am greatly enjoying your process documentation, learning a great deal, I thank you for that.

I should not be left alone at home for the weekend. It bothered me that I had no way of measuring the core temperature of the compost, so I started digging around looking for some materials, and threw together this:

It's a cheap Chinese thermometer with a corded sensor. The tube is electric tubing, and I sealed the thing with some vacuum packer plastic and heat shrink tubing. It's about half a meter long, so it reaches the middle of the pile. I stuck it into the pile a moment ago, and the temperature stopped climbing at 53 C (127 F). When I went to put it into the pile, the thermometer that measures the air temperature above the pile read 34 C (93 F).
Is the probe end protected by the pipe?
Do you shove it in or bury it as you stir things up?

Quote: The probe is inside the tube, I got lucky with what I had, the probe has sort of a collar that is exactly the size of the tube's inner diameter, so it fits in there very snugly, keeping convection at bay close to the probe. That end is a major flaw in the design though, I didn't have a cap to put on the end, so the pipe is just open with the bag on top of it. I didn't dare shove it into the middle of the pile, so I slid it down along the center divider where it sunk in without much resistance. I think a empty shotgun shell or the cap of a lip balm could work better. Here's a rough schematic of the build:

If I were to shop for parts for this, I'd probably use a metal pipe with a screw on cap, it would transfer heat better and you could probably shove it into the pile more easily, but this was what I had lying around.

Quote: The probe is inside the tube, I got lucky with what I had, the probe has sort of a collar that is exactly the size of the tube's inner diameter, so it fits in there very snugly, keeping convection at bay close to the probe. That end is a major flaw in the design though, I didn't have a cap to put on the end, so the pipe is just open with the bag on top of it. I didn't dare shove it into the middle of the pile, so I slid it down along the center divider where it sunk in without much resistance. I think a empty shotgun shell or the cap of a lip balm could work better. Here's a rough schematic of the build:

If I were to shop for parts for this, I'd probably use a metal pipe with a screw on cap, it would transfer heat better and you could probably shove it into the pile more easily, but this was what I had lying around.
You could use something else, just a tad smaller-or another length of pipe, to make a hole then shove the probe/pipe in.

That would work too. Although I usually prefer a solution to the cause of a problem, not just a treatment of the symptoms.
Yeah well, I have been wanting to say...just order a real compost thermometer!!! ;-)

Do you have access to an amazon marketplace there? That's where I got mine for $25.

Well that would just be too easy
big_smile.png
I've been looking in stores, all I can find are the kinds that are meant for cooking, and the spike is too short on those. The ones available online are either crazy expensive (starting at around 50 USD, add to shipping, easily 20-30 bucks, and then to the total 24% VAT plus possible customs fees), or then they're slightly more affordable with a imperial scale (which is just silly) and the shipping is still an issue. Also, I don't want a digital thermometer, since I want it to sit inside the compost. I prefer to be picky and complain instead.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom