HOT HOT HOT

AmyWho

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 9, 2013
Portland, OR

It got into the low 90's today and is supposed to get even hotter.
I went out to check on the girls and everyone seemed fine except for this one. Wings away from her body and panting like crazy. The other girls were poking about near the screen windows catching the breeze, but I found this one in the most stagnant and hot part of the coop looking totally miserable. She's never really been considered 'the brains' of the flock.

I let them out to free range for a bit while I set up the coop and run with a fan and some extra water bowls (each with a few ice cubes now.)
I just checked again, and everyone seems ok.

What do you do to beat the heat?

Make sure the chickens can get out of the coop when it is hot, either in the run or free-ranging so they can get some air.

Also make sure they have shade. As you mentioned, provide water and you can put ice cubes in the water when it is very hot.

The coop and most of the run are in the shade of an old walnut tree already. It rains so much here in Portland, and I chose it as the driest spot I could find.

I see you're in Texas. You'd laugh at our sizzling 92°...but it's September! It's supposed to be in the low 80's!

The coop and most of the run are in the shade of an old walnut tree already. It rains so much here in Portland, and I chose it as the driest spot I could find.

I see you're in Texas. You'd laugh at our sizzling 92°...but it's September! It's supposed to be in the low 80's!

I did not mention that. I realize that hot is a relative term.

I was in Ketchikan, Alaska a couple years ago in August. It was 76 degrees and beautiful. All the locals were saying how it was so hot and that they were having a drought because it had not rained in three days. :) I pointed out that their high temperature is our regular low temperature in Texas in the summer.

Here we will have a high of 99 degrees Thursday afternoon. The forecast does not show the temperature going lower than 70 degrees. Maybe it will cool off a little in a couple of weeks.

Yes, hot is a relative term. We've had over 90 all summer and 1/2 of those day over 100. Lots of 107's and no rain.
This is Nebraska!
All my chickens panting like that, well after dark and still 90 degrees. They coup for the night and the shed is hotter than outside but they have to coop.
107 degrees outside when I took this picture below.
The night before, we run a small sprinkler for about an our on the North side of an old outbuilding.
They love to sit in the cool shade and dampened ground.
They were getting into the flower beds and hostas up against the north side of the house tearing it apart.
We created a diversion by watering another area. Took about 3 days to get them to change their habit, but it worked.
This spot is also closer to their coop so it worked out well.
No need for fencing or other methods to get them out of the hostas, just a diversion.

Last edited:
One of mine doesn't tolerate the heat as well either. Just make sure they have some cool water. I also use a fan and she will lay in front of it a lot.

I've read that misters are great too, it just feels so humid here when it's "hot."

I'm going to get one for next summer, though.

I use misters & fans. Their dust bath area is completely shaded. Combined with misters its not too bad. I use a fan on low in their coop at night. They also love to stand around in the
puddles the lawn sprinkled makes. Cool treats like watermelon help.

I just keep the melons in the fridge. This time of year I keep most of their treats in the fridge. Melons, yogurt, cucumbers, even leftovers.

Back
Top Bottom