Hot pepper seeds

try a discount club or food service wholesale. Sam's Club had a 24 oz for 3.99. Will be in the pizza seasonings or spices. Thought that was pricey so I'll check with Sysco or one of the other vendors once I get my tax id. Since I don't plan on using more than a couple three ounces, I suspect 5 lbs would get me the winter at 30+ chickens.

You would have to make sure they were untreated. Lots of seeds for planting are treated to prevent fungi, etc. and the chemicals used to treat them are poisonous.

I can't imagine why you would want to feed them pepper seeds, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm curious as well... seems like i can hardly get mine to eat BOSS

caf.gif

This is funny because I have been scattering ground hot pepper powder in a part of my yard fenced off from where the chickens roam. This is to deter raccoons from digging up the grass. I have heard that the crushed hot pepper seeds deter mammals but do not bother birds. I know parrots love to eat dried hot peppers! Maybe chickens do also.

I don't know what the OP's purposes are, but....

Chickens don't have heat receptors, so they can eat things like hot pepper seeds for their nutritional value.

Also, in addition to the nutrients available in peppers, there are many who use peppers, cayenne at least, for its preventative properties in regards to parasites.

And there was a thread on here about them making chickens lay! I havent tried it. But I did threaten yesterday to change all their names to stew, soup, baked, fried etc . if they dont get busy! 21 hens and 5 eggs means I have to do something! Probably add some light!

Dried, ripe hot peppers are loaded with beta carotenes that convert into vitamin A. Back before we could make complete poultry rations the winter diet of chickens was often lacking in that important vitamin. A little red pepper could help with that.

Nowadays it's not very important. Except that it's a great squirrel/rodent repellent as well. Chickens can't feel the burn but rodents can. When squirrels are raiding my feeders too much I start peppering them with powdered cayenne pepper. I get some relief for a while. Do stand upwind while you're doing this though as it'll zap you as well as the squirrels if you're careless.

As for being an anti-parasitic I think jury is still out on that one.

Back
Top Bottom