1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hot Sauce

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pharmchickrnmom, Jan 12, 2011.

1. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    I have been reading about hot pepper being given to chickens to warm them up and kickstart egg laying. I have been mixing hot pepper and black pepper into my chickens oatmeal concoction once a day and they seem to like it. I was wondering, however, about homemade hot sauce, or hot sauce in general. Would it have the same affect as the pepper? I have some homemade habenero sauce that a good friend of mine gave me and was thinking about trying it. The base is vinegar and that is supposed to be good for chickens. I know there is nothing bad for the chickens in the sauce. Before I do it, I wish to consult all of the experts out there. So, what you all of you think? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Don't know if it will help with the egg laying, but hot sauce makes everything taste better.

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Quote:X 2! Hot sauce is made from hot peppers, so why not?

4. olinandkim

olinandkim New Egg

Jan 11, 2011
    I tried using cyanne pepper in our chickens food to increase egg production. It really works! We only have 8 hens and it increased our eggs from 1 egg a day to 3. WOW!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by