Hot water in the sun

ofar81

Hatching
Jul 11, 2023
Hi. I am new to raising chickens. I have the water container in their run placed where there is shade. However, when I let them out of their run (to free range) they sometimes may come accross a container that has water in it or a puddle that has been in the sun all day and therefore the water in it is very hot. This got me thinking: would they try drinking this hot water and accidentally burn their mouth/throat by taking a gulp before realizing it is hot? Or are they 'smart' enough to sense that the water is too hot and therefore not try to drink it?
I realize my question may be a bit hard to answer... but I'm asking if anyone has had a similar situation and observed how the chickens behave towards hot water (avoid it... or try it and get burnt before learning their lesson.... or get burn and not learn their lesson...etc...)
I would appreciate any info or observations on this topic.
Thank you.

For standing water to be hot enough to cause pain or injury, the water would not be standing.
Don't worry about it. :]
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean by " the water would not be standing". I personally have burned my hands by trying to wash then from a garden hose that was laying in the sun and had water in it (I didn't realize it was that hot till I put my hands under the water and it was scalding hot!!! Just from the sun.

You don't have a location listed, but that info would be helpful to know your climate. Where I am, I get it. We too have hose water that gets hot enough to scald. Heck, the water that had been sitting for a day in our in-the-shade bucket (in the coop), I measured at 101.4 F last week. The water from our hose (when first turned on) is considerably hotter than that because of the physics of being confined in a hose (no air).

So all that to say that water standing (like in a puddle) is not going to get near that hot because of exposure to the air. To corroborate that, the water in the small cups attached to above mentioned bucket of water was considerably cooler than the water inside the bucket. I'm no scientist, but guessing that evaporation plays a part in cooling the water.

Thought about this thread this morning when I turned our hose on to rinse out a water bucket. The water was so hot, I decided to grab my thermometer and see just how hot. Bear in mind, I already had run the hose around 20 seconds before I decided to test it.

I jet-hosed some water into the bucket (the process probably cooled it a little) and then stuck the thermometer in. This is what it read... 127.4 F

HOSE WATER TEMP.
20230715_100440.jpg

Last edited:
My water founts are all shaded, at all times of the day and night. Always seems as if the water temperature is fine in those founts, maybe because the volume of water (only 1 gallon) keeps the dispenser tray cool?? I do add ice cubes at the end of the day, and do A LOT of fount cleaning in the summer. We're in the Heat Bomb right now, too--these are desperate times!:(

Agree with the hot garden hose water. I always run the hose onto the grass/ground until I can feel cooler (or "less hot") water coming out before filling dog dish, bird baths, Frog Pond or any critter waterer.

Back
Top Bottom