Hot Weather Feeding

Barb Root Hinkkanen

Songster
6 Years
Aug 19, 2017
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Hello Chirpie Parents!

I haven’t seen anyone else comment on this… Living in South Mississippi it gets very hot and humid several months of the year. I have been looking for ideas to keep my flock happy and healthy.

I cook for my puppy boy and now I am making daily ice bowls for my four coop groups, smaller portions for the small groups and I nice big one for the big group.

I add any leftovers from the fridge. When I have extra eggs I scramble them, dry the shells and add that. I add any overripe fruit and vegetables. To each bowl, I put in some dried mint, rose petals, calendula flowers, rose petals, grit, and whatever looks good for them. I fill each container about 1/3 full of laying pellets, add a bit of the other things, fill with water and freeze. They love it! It keeps them cooler and there is not a smidge left at the end of the day.

I have read about adding ice water to a bowl of food snd thought this would keep them happy. It seems to work.

For my flock on hot days, I put pellets in a pan, I add water, let it hydrate. Add enough to make it a batter consistency. I add ice cubes and sprinkle with a bit of whole grain feed. Serve. They think it is the best ever. I give this anytime after 1 pm when their run is fully shaded and they are moving around more.

Some great ideas in previous posts! All of my coops are under shade trees with plenty of dirt -- which USED to be a yard -- for the chickens to deeply dig in and insulate themselves from the heat. I try to change the water more often so it stays cool, and have frozen gallon water jugs that I can put into the ducks' kiddie pool.

The BEST summer treat here is sliced, chilled watermelon. I use it for chickens, ducks, geese, goats and sheep. Once in a while, I get a small slice of it myself :D.

I don't do anything different. My run has plenty of shade and the chooks have 2 5 gallon buckets of water.

This.

We've had a relatively cool summer with temps rarely going over 95 for even a few hours, but water, shade, and access to dirt where they can dig into cooler layers. Electrolytes once a week when it's truly HOT.

If I end up with a bird or a breed that really cannnot tolerate my climate I'll add more Mediterranean blood to the flock.

Back
Top Bottom