Hot Weather Feeding

Barb Root Hinkkanen

Songster
5 Years
Aug 19, 2017
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Hello Chirpie Parents!

I haven’t seen anyone else comment on this… Living in South Mississippi it gets very hot and humid several months of the year. I have been looking for ideas to keep my flock happy and healthy.

I cook for my puppy boy and now I am making daily ice bowls for my four coop groups, smaller portions for the small groups and I nice big one for the big group.

I add any leftovers from the fridge. When I have extra eggs I scramble them, dry the shells and add that. I add any overripe fruit and vegetables. To each bowl, I put in some dried mint, rose petals, calendula flowers, rose petals, grit, and whatever looks good for them. I fill each container about 1/3 full of laying pellets, add a bit of the other things, fill with water and freeze. They love it! It keeps them cooler and there is not a smidge left at the end of the day.

I have read about adding ice water to a bowl of food snd thought this would keep them happy. It seems to work.

Acre4Me

Crossing the Road
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
For my flock on hot days, I put pellets in a pan, I add water, let it hydrate. Add enough to make it a batter consistency. I add ice cubes and sprinkle with a bit of whole grain feed. Serve. They think it is the best ever. I give this anytime after 1 pm when their run is fully shaded and they are moving around more.

Callender Girl

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Sep 18, 2018
North Central Iowa
Some great ideas in previous posts! All of my coops are under shade trees with plenty of dirt -- which USED to be a yard -- for the chickens to deeply dig in and insulate themselves from the heat. I try to change the water more often so it stays cool, and have frozen gallon water jugs that I can put into the ducks' kiddie pool.

The BEST summer treat here is sliced, chilled watermelon. I use it for chickens, ducks, geese, goats and sheep. Once in a while, I get a small slice of it myself :D.

3KillerBs

Addict
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I don't do anything different. My run has plenty of shade and the chooks have 2 5 gallon buckets of water.

This.

We've had a relatively cool summer with temps rarely going over 95 for even a few hours, but water, shade, and access to dirt where they can dig into cooler layers. Electrolytes once a week when it's truly HOT.

If I end up with a bird or a breed that really cannnot tolerate my climate I'll add more Mediterranean blood to the flock.

Top Bottom