Hot weather, no freezing...watering cups or nipples?

So strange. With us, there’s a small cup that’s filled when the chicken presses the button. How can your birds drink out of this thing?

When they tap the metal part with their beaks a drop of water comes out.

It stays clean under nearly any circumstances, is highly leak-resistant, and is compatible with deicers in the winter for people who need that.

I live in a warm climate, but I'd had my waterers partially-freeze and though the horizontal nipples stopped functioning they didn't break.

Vertical nipples are also available. They are easier for chicks and smaller birds to use but more likely to leak and more subject to damage from freezing. :)

Update: Watering nipples work great...minimal/no cleaning and the chicks learned how to use after about 15 minutes. I put a tray under the nipples for the minimal dripping when chicks get water.
I currently have the nipples screwed into 3/4" PVC pipe, running from a pressure valve on a spigot. Thinking about preparedness, I'm going to get a RV fresh water tank and run the nippled PVC pipes off the tank. I'll keep the tank filled by the spigot on a timer (I'm a nerd and have timers and everything on WiFi so I can remotely manage my coops water, ventilation, heating pad, etc.). This way if for any reason the water stops from the spigot, the chicks will have a storage of water that should last them enough days for me to get the source fixed.
Mahalo for all your help!

I use cups, ducks can't use nipples, and I have some. They don't use cups well either, so I also have a dog bowl that fills automatically, a battery box with a float so it fills automatically, and a couple buckets I fill manually. They prefer the buckets....

8 Cups. One for each 4 or 5 birds. Not real close together. Not more than 4 cups per bucket.

and mine are all lever action - I use a 275 gallon stock tank (two actually) for the cups, dog bowl, battery box - the air bubble designs won't work for me.
my experience with the cups is that unless the bucket is level they keep flowing and all the water flows out. am I wrong?

my experience with the cups is that unless the bucket is level they keep flowing and all the water flows out. am I wrong?
that hasn't been my experience - my watering cups are attached to pvc pipe attached to a 275gal poly tote. Perhaps you are thinking of a different style of cup, or you have had very bad experiences.

I think I got the "automatic" cups. I have ordered the cups with they yellow tab the birds have to depress. I think the nipples were not discharging enough water. at a few drops each visit they should have been at it all day to get 8 oz

Back
Top Bottom