Hot weather waterer

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 21, 2009
Today I may have accidentally found a way to keep my chickens in cool drinking water during these 108 degree Arizona days. I gave them some treats this morning in a clay pot saucer bought for that purpose, and after it was empty I filled it with water. This evening I found that the water left in the clay saucer was very nice and cool compared to the warm water in my regular full time water supply. The saucer becomes soaked and evaporation keeps the water cool. As soon as I get a chance, I'm going to pick up a medium size clay pot and saucer, and make a waterer out of them by sealing the pots drain hole and carefully drilling a couple of holes around the rim to make it work just like a normal waterer that you fill up and turn upside down in the saucer. Hopefully that will give the flock cool water for at least most of the day. I'll post the results, but I live in the sticks and probably can't get a pot right away. Ed

I wonder why noone ever thought of that... Gotta be cooler than those metal ones, and the sun wouldnt heat it up as much when its inside the pot as the plastic ones...

Sounds like a great idea!!

Maybe you can sell them ?!?!

Jason

Be careful to use lead free clay, that's the only thing I would be concerned about.

Quote:
They actually make "coolers" for water-you know like the office water stations at work? Instead of a big ugly dispenser these are so much cuter! So yeah, you're absolutely right about the terra cotta keeping the water cool. Just for kicks check out the link below:
http://www.squidoo.com/terra-cotta

Quote:
Actually someone did. They used to make ceramic waterers-they're antiques now & some are fairly valuable. Don;t know why they stopped making them.

Back
Top Bottom