Hot.

Here in Central Texas it was 110 degrees around noon...craziness I tell you. My chicks (which are currently housed in my father's workshop) didn't even need their brooder lamp on it got so hot in there. I ended up having to put a fan on the poor things. It is CRAZY hot here.
th.gif

High was 94F with 61% humidity. Heat index=111F DRIPPIN' HOT!!!

I moved to Missouri four years ago from a town that is one hour east of Death Valley. Highs of 110F were not unusual in the summer. My Dad and his friend would fix misc. stuff on top of roofs. His friend wanted to know how hot it was on the roof. So he brought a thermometer on the roof with him. It exploded. He later got another one. It exploded. And another. It exploded. So he finally got an oven thermometer. It registered at... hmmm... I THINK it was 140F (?), or more, I can't remember for sure.

But it was a DRY heat. Made a big difference... I just checked, and the high for tomorrow is supposed 108F, with 13% humidity. Heat index=104F. HOT!

Today it hit 90' . . . which might not sound like much, particularly with you guys and your desert temps BUT . . . the dewpoint was 77' AND the humidity was 88%.

That's hot.

And I lived in Vegas for 3 weeks in July once (for a seminar) and I LOVE that kind of dry, desert heat. It got up to 120' once and I was still wearing jeans and a tee-shirt and walking around to the store and whatnot. I just didn't feel it that much -- dry heat isn't a problem for me. Also I lived on the desert side of San Diego for most of my teenage years, I know what heat is like, and I LOVE IT.

But I was melting in the humidity today. Ugh. Humidity is an invention of the devil, I swear!

Las Vegas has the top spot right now in answer to our question of 'Where do we want to retire?' for many reasons, but the dry heat is a big factor. After living in MinneSNOWta, the thought of living out our twilight years in warmth and no snow (or at least, snow that's rare and disappears almost immediately) is heaven.

Whitewater

Whitewater, I will admit that the dry heat is MUCH more tolerable than the humidity. I can't breathe in hot humidity!!!! Today - just freakin HOT. Yesterday? Freakin hot with monsoon thunderstorms. UGH!

it's hot down here too. i've been dealing with headaches
hmm.png
i am behind on duck laundry because i don't wana go out and "fertilize" my plants lol plus my stinkin head is pounding. thank goodness for fruitloops to just thought it would be a good idea to fan me off with her wings. bless that cute, crazy little duck.

It's so hot here
sad.png
DH felt so bad he bought a portable mister for the chickens and is planning to put up more shade tomorrow. It's miserable. I lost my favorite girl the other day. I am sure it was from the heat.

Quote:
I lost my SSH the other day too. She was a special need chicken. i had to take her everywher - to eat, to drink, to be in the shade... The heat was too much for her.

All summer,I read threads about how cold it is in America, and its like I can feel the cold and be a little cooler. So for those of you with a good imagination....... Its so cold here in the morning, I will need to break the ice on the chooks water and we have had so many frosts that the trees that usually survive the winter are turning black. I have even been wearing the thermal underware mum wore when she went to Canada in their winter ( feeling any cooler yet ) OK Ithink I'll go back and read more hot threads
cool.png
LOL

Highs have been in the 100s and 90s for a while now, but it gets so cold at night that I have to use my winter blanket. Weird.

Back
Top Bottom