Marychickyquails

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2024
I hatched 6 eggs, the 7th one had a peak deformity and I just realized another one of the quails has an issue. He or she can’t keep a balanced head. It still eats and drinks when it can but it has no control of its head. It’s very sad to see. That’s why I put it back in the incubator by itself with food and water… I don’t know what to do. Will it die? Is it a disease or deformity? Or should I try to keep it alive and see if it will grow out of it? I feel so bad rn- I’m attaching pictures of a video IMG_8326.png IMG_8328.png

Attachments

• IMG_8327.png
    IMG_8327.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8329.png
    IMG_8329.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8330.png
    IMG_8330.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8331.png
    IMG_8331.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
It looks like wry neck. The recommendation is to give vitamin E as a supplement as it can be caused by a deficiency, but I'm not sure how much for a quail chick. Many cases will also correct on their own - I had a chick last hatch that looked exactly like yours. It was eating and drinking, so I put it in with the others and it fixed itself - I assume the chick food had enough nutrients to help. Birds with wry neck can live mostly normal lives, they might just look odd.

Probably not a "disease".
Where did the eggs come from?

Do you have a calibrated thermometer in your bator and a salt tested humidity gauge?

Some reasons could be:

• Improper turning
  • Inadequate ventilation
  • Abnormally high or abnormally low incubator temperature.
  • Insufficient moisture
  • Eggs from poor quality stock

It looks like wry neck. The recommendation is to give vitamin E as a supplement as it can be caused by a deficiency, but I'm not sure how much for a quail chick. Many cases will also correct on their own - I had a chick last hatch that looked exactly like yours. It was eating and drinking, so I put it in with the others and it fixed itself - I assume the chick food had enough nutrients to help. Birds with wry neck can live mostly normal lives, they might just look odd.
Thank you so so much for letting me know of your success story! It gives me hope🙏❤️

Do you have a calibrated thermometer in your bator and a salt tested humidity gauge?

Some reasons could be:

• Improper turning
  • Inadequate ventilation
  • Insufficient moisture
They were shipped eggs. I originally had 14 but I tossed 7 because some were cracked and others didn’t grow the first 3 days of incubation. The rest made it until the end but one died in shell, I checked inside and it’s peak was deformed. So 6 remained. And all other siblings are doing okay. This is the only one with this head/neck issue 🙈 thank you tho. I’ll keep an eye on my incubator just in case

Some reasons could be:

• Improper turning
  • Inadequate ventilation
  • Insufficient moisture
I do have a thermometer and an extra one inside of the incubator. But I don’t think I have a salt tested humidity thingy

Back
Top Bottom