House chicken

bcooper4

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 7, 2018
So one of my chickens appeared to be unable to stand or walk. Immediately checked causes etc with byc and isolated her in a storage bin in my laundry room. Thinking my poor girl would probably die fairly soon because sick chickens just don't live long, I fed her canned corn and mealworms and all the treats I normally give sparingly. She makes happy noises every time I come in the room, eats like a horse, thoroughly enjoyed her warm soapy soak but is still unable to stand or walk. It has now been over 4 weeks and even the dogs have accepted her into the household, She does not appear to be in any pain, I gave her a plastic egg because she was nesting on top of the food dish. I cannot kill her. No way, not now, not ever. If I thought she was suffering I would try to find someone else to do it. She seems very very happy. No vets in my area treat chickens so am open to suggestions. She is a wyandotte about 5 years old.Thx.

Do you have any pictures of her? Have you not been feeding her a balanced chicken feed? The corn is not a complete diet and low in protein. What do her poops look like? Does she move her legs or scoot around?

Have you added a new chicken in the last few months? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Has she laid eggs recently? Most reasons for lameness include injuries, vitamin B2 deficiency, spinal or reproductive disorders. When you lift her up, does she have an enlarged lower belly?

I just started the corn and other “ treat” foods when I brought her in. Prior to that she was on 20% layer feed along with my other chickens. She is was normal in every way until she wasn’t. Perfectly happy running with the others. I was thinking that her last few meals should be really special so she might die happy but she is thriving except she cannot stand or walk. She scoots using her wings because she likes to put her small food dish under her like a chick. I have given her an egg and she likes that too. Her poop appears to be typical chicken poop and I do clean her because she doesn’t get around. Any suggestions appreciated. It is now almost 5 weeks.

Attachments

• A5BF1D05-669E-44F0-9E91-786ECC6531D6.jpeg
    A5BF1D05-669E-44F0-9E91-786ECC6531D6.jpeg
    515.5 KB · Views: 10
So now we’re at 6 weeks and she is eating like a horse. Pasta cooked apple soggy bread cat and dog food and of course mealworms and salt free canned corn. She makes happy chicken sounds whenever she sees me but just cannot stand or walk.

Sorry that she isn’t standing or walking. Had you added any new chickens to your flock in the recent months or weeks before she became lame? Have you tried giving her vitamin B complex daily, in case of a deficiency?

I had a hen vaccinated for Mareks that was 7, and she suddenly lost balance and fell sideways or backward. She always could stand, but would fall over. She stayed in a basket for 5 weeks where I had to feed and water her twice a day. One day, she got up and went outside of the coop. Each day she got stronger and she lived another year and a half. When she died I found some egg masses and cancer inside her abdomen. We sometimes can find out what was wrong with a necropsy and testing by the state vet.

So 9 weeks and she's doing fine in her box. Her diet consists of wet multi grain bread and occasionally something new like watermelon or dog food. Mealworms are still popular but she now refuses canned corn. She motivates with her wings and turns her back when finished eating or pushes the dish under her like hatching an egg. I think she might outlive me.

So 9 weeks and she's doing fine in her box. Her diet consists of wet multi grain bread and occasionally something new like watermelon or dog food. Mealworms are still popular but she now refuses canned corn. She motivates with her wings and turns her back when finished eating or pushes the dish under her like hatching an egg. I think she might outlive me.
Is there a reason why you aren't feeding her the layer feed like the others outdoors? She will likely develop issues from unbalanced nutrition eventually since she is feeling better.

She only eats what she wants and actual chicken feed is not on the menu. When I brought her in I assumed it was a hospice situation and I was just giving her whatever she wanted for her final days....canned corn was top of the list for a while. I think the soggy bread is also a source of fluid since she will not drink just water. Going to set her outside in the sunshine for a while. Always a happy cluck when she sees me, no apparent pain, I clean the hay in her bin on a regular basis and the poop is icky but all varieties of chicken poop are icky so she might live on forever. Still no use of her legs.

Back
Top Bottom