House ducks

I'm wondering about a vitamin or something that's easy, maybe even can be added to feed, that has vitaminD and calcium. That would be necessary for a house duck.
Ah I see. That's a really good question
I suppose you would have to supplement Vit D. Mine had oyster shells inside, but no supplemented VitD as they spent time outside in the sun daily. Personally I wouldn't keep a duck indoors 24/7 unless they were handicapped. Time outside in the mud is good for their mental wellbeing lol
Good question though, interested in the replies!

Ah I see. That's a really good question
I suppose you would have to supplement Vit D. Mine had oyster shells inside, but no supplemented VitD as they spent time outside in the sun daily. Personally I wouldn't keep a duck indoors 24/7 unless they were handicapped. Time outside in the mud is good for their mental wellbeing lol
Good question though, interested in the replies!
yes ducks shouldn't be kept inside 24/7, my ducks are outside from sunrise to sunset whenever it's above 40-50° outside. we live in michigan so winter is just too cold for them to be outside but i've never supplemented anything extra, i feed mazuri and it has everything ducks need to be healthy. for VitaminD i just would say get them outside as much as possible (even on rainy days lol, my ducks LOVE mud)

House duck folk! I have trouble believing that duck diapers wouldn't just cause a duck to have all kinds of gross poop mashed into their under-feathers. What's the reality of a duck wearing a diaper like?

House duck folk! I have trouble believing that duck diapers wouldn't just cause a duck to have all kinds of gross poop mashed into their under-feathers. What's the reality of a duck wearing a diaper like?
There's air in there, it isn't tight against their vents so that doesn't really happen- it would only cause issues if it wasn't changed out regularly
If any gets stuck on their feathers, a simple wash with warm water would fix that

There's air in there, it isn't tight against their vents so that doesn't really happen- it would only cause issues if it wasn't changed out regularly
If any gets stuck on their feathers, a simple wash with warm water would fix that
It doesn't mash into feathers every time they sit down? I mean, they poop like, soooooooo often, regular changes would have to be about every ten minutes no?

you just need to get good quality open tail duck diapers. closed tail diapers will 100% make the poop stick to them but open tail diapers have a pouch that keeps the poop away from them (and they can still preen and everything with open tail diapers)

i buy mine from avian fashions, they're a bit pricey ($40 per diaper) but worth it

Well this is my husband's worst nightmare come to life. Clothing on our ducks and the ducks in the house, especially our noisiest girl, Hennifer Lopez. 🤣😂❤️
my ducks have been wearing clothes since we got them so are used to it, but people are always shocked when we go places lol

Attachments

• E427B266-935D-4062-8CB3-FB8C2A3B223D.jpeg
    E427B266-935D-4062-8CB3-FB8C2A3B223D.jpeg
    473.6 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom