House Goose?

tvtaber

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2007
Central CA
I am trying to convince DH to allow our son to get a gosling and keep her in the house at least part time. He has wanted one for a long time and rarely asks for anything at all. Does anyone have a goose in the house with diapers?

I have a goose that comes in almost on a daily basis..she knows her way around in here and knows her way out. If she is in for a while it gets pretty messy so I tell her she has to go out and she leaves. I am sure you could make a diaper for him/her. Mine lives outside, but stays close at all times. She doesn't know she is a goose and we don't tell her, we tell her she is our little girl. When the weather gets really bad in the winter, I baby gate the laundry room and let her hang out in there until it passes. They are very messy and smelly to raise in the house, but I did it anyway. The fun thing about raising them in the house with you is that they get really attached and imprinted on you. i would get a towel and sit and cuddle while watching Tv. We ( My DH and I)secretly raised her and her brother in my in-laws house while living there 3 years ago! They eventually found out and were ok after all. They are so cute! They will follow you all over and yell when you leave. It is good for it to have company of the feathered kind. My goose Gretchen has her best friend Willis. He is our 'stray" Khaki Campbell duck. He keeps her company when I am not around.

not me but i knew a person (on tv) who had a tom turkey he kept inside with a diaper!
smile.png

I have one goose I'm tempted to make into a house pet. I just know that if he comes in then I'll have to get him a friend, then another, then another...

To keep your floors nice and clean, check out: http://www.flightquarters.com/bird-diapers/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AFF&Category_Code=DGD She sells diapers made specifically for ducks and geese.

And here http://www.thegoosesmother.com/id72.html is information about keeping ducks and geese in the house, along with fun little things to splurge on for your pet.

I would love to let mine in, but they're very liquid. I wouldn't think a diaper would be healthy on a duck or goose for any length of time.. I would be afraid of bacterial infections. Also, I doubt they would tolerate a diaper-they have very sharp teeth which would rip one off pronto!

Geese grow big - like small and medium sized dog big, much bigger than chickens and ducks. The poops are equally as big. You would need plenty of diapers. They poop alot! Giant poops.

Make sure it has plenty of yard time to eat - they do best when eating a lot of grass and other greens. They don't eat bugs and stuff. They are herbivores and graze very much like cattle.

They do like water, not as much as ducks, but they do enjoy swimming, bathing and playing in the water. When they eat, especially feed, they need enough water to dunk their heads in to rinse their nostrils. This often results in a watery mess around the water bucket.

Back
Top Bottom