House Rooster/Hen Experiences

Hello PrimoTheRooster.
Welcome to BYC.
Building him (hopefully) a coop outside is the way to go imo. Chickens need outside time not just so they get some sun, but to scratch and bath and go bug hunting. Having him come into the house during the day shouldn't be a problem if you can arrange a system for him to come and go at will.
I leave my door open all day. This might not work for you depending on your climate.
What I would say is please don't put him in nappies; it's so degrading. Give him free reign of an area you can clean easily. Getting chicken poop, particulalry cecal poop of carpets isn't a fun job. On a hard floor a with a bit of practice, poop can be lifted off in one swipe and all that's needed after is a quick wash with bleach or similar.
How do I know this stuff. The pic below should explain.
Oh, you'll probably get lots of indignant posts.:confused:
View attachment 2422603
I love the pic of your house chickens! No chicken diapers here! We have hardwood floors and I don't let him go anywhere where I wouldn't want to clean up after him. Plus, I've had cockatiels before, and this guy is way easier to clean up after than those birds were! I was surprised how easily we all adapted to living together.

If he's crowing, and does not look like a rooster or a hen, then he is probably just a slow-maturing cockerel.

With those parents, late maturity doesn't surprise me. Brahmas are especially known for being slow to mature.
Yes, it makes sense if he is slow-maturing. I read somewhere that sometimes it can take up to 9 months for that breed to crow or lay eggs. I still think he is a cockerel :) He sure is interesting to see go from a little chick to this big beautiful chicken!

Back
Top Bottom