House Trained Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CuteQuail, Jul 13, 2019.

1. CuteQuail

CuteQuail Chirping

Feb 4, 2019
    I now have one quail left and thinking of keeping it as a pet. She's just so cute! Are there ways to house train quail? For example, go back to a cage at night or potty train? Thanks for the help.

el dorado quail and Texas Kiki like this.
  2. Nabiki

Nabiki Songster

May 15, 2019
    Sonoma County, CA
    There are some creatures that cannot be potty trained. Birds are among them.

3. FutureQuailParent

FutureQuailParent In the Brooder

Aug 29, 2017
    Untrue! I am not sure if quail, in particular, can be potty trained as they aren't the brightest birds, but many parrots can be trained to go to the bathroom in a certain area!

Stiletto and Nabiki like this.
  4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Songster

Apr 30, 2015
    Taxachusetts
    Find a book named "That Quail Robert". House trained, of sorts, and all. This was a wild, Bob White quail that was quite the house pet. It will make excellent reading as well as helpful.

Stiletto and FutureQuailParent like this.
  5. maadroj

maadroj Chirping

May 25, 2019
    I recently introduced my quail to their new aviary, but before that they lived in our bedroom for the first 7-8 weeks. We would let them out of the brooder to eat and explore a bit several times a day. Since they felt safe in the brooder, they would return to it on their own, and then we would close it up when finished, perhaps shepherding one or two back inside. But in the meantime it could sometimes be a bit chaotic if someone got scared while they were out... They poop so much, I can't imagine letting them run about openly unless they're wearing a bird diaper (actually a real thing! Originally designed for parrots, sometimes called a flight suit). We didn't try that. I read someone on here kept several quail in one room the house, and have seen one or two other folks with quail in the house. Good luck!

6. Ulaidian

Ulaidian Songster

Jun 28, 2017
    Belfast Northern Ireland
    Perhaps one, with lots of one on one time would work to an extent.. but you wouldn't leave it to run about the place like a dog or cat.
    I had about 30 quail in a room, and man, it was tough.. I wouldn't do it again.

7. maadroj

maadroj Chirping

May 25, 2019
    What did you decide to do? Now that our quail are outside, I've found that the friendliest one continues to seek our company. He's the first to come up to us (often running) when we go into the aviary, he hangs out with us and curiously inspects what we're doing when we're working in the aviary, and he comes up to the fence when we're working nearby outside the aviary. I think he's happier outside with his flock that he would be as the only quail in the house, but he's terribly adorable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: