Houseplant and succulent enthusiasts

I’d like to see more pics of the Hoya in question!

I have a lemon-lime prayer plant, Stromanthe Triostar, two Hoyas: an Australis Lisa and a Carnosa Compacta; a string of hearts, a single Manjula and a whole bunch of golden pothos, (propagating is fun!) one pretty Pilea, one VERY tall lucky bamboo, a whole hoard of spider plants of different varieties, several Christmas cacti, a Coppertone Sedum who unfortunately got a smidgeon sunburned, several Monstera Adansonii, a very sad little variegated Peperomia Obtusifolia, one big ‘ol Rubber Tree, a heart-leaf philodendron, one cute pink nerve plant, two unknown cacti and one little airplant!

I think that’s everyone, I’ll edit this if I’ve forgotten any.

What a nice collection! If you'd like you could post photos of the unknown cacti here and we could try and ID them for you (also who doesn't love to see more plants)! I'll get some more pictures of my Hoya tomorrow!

Here are some more pics of the Hoya as promised! I've taken close pics of the leaves, and I'm thinking it's a splash
20230530_134347.jpg
20230530_134515.jpg
20230530_134525.jpg

Mine has never bloomed, but I grew it from a cutting and haven't had it that long and I've seen the parent plant bloom. Hah, right now I've got a whole bunch of cuttings of it starting 'cause my friend needed to prune it and gave me a lot. I've been rooting cuttings for party-favours.

Well, since we're here... my teenage daughter has a room that is dark with blacklights. Figured I would ask the experts, are there any indoor succulents that do well in low light conditions? If pressed, I suppose she would crack a blind open to allow for a bit of sunlight, but she would have to really like the plant 😂

Well, since we're here... my teenage daughter has a room that is dark with blacklights. Figured I would ask the experts, are there any indoor succulents that do well in low light conditions? If pressed, I suppose she would crack a blind open to allow for a bit of sunlight, but she would have to really like the plant 😂
No plant is going to be able to thrive in low light conditions, but she could always use a grow light. I’m sure she could find some that would match the aesthetic of her room! Most plants do fine under grow lights.

Now, if she did compromise and open up her blind, some plants that tolerate low light are most lightly variegated pothos, (more variegation, more light needed) ZZ plants will tolerate low light, as well as spider plants. Pothos are very hardy plants and some of the hardest to kill. Most calatheas are fine with low light, mine are in the corner of my room that gets the least amount of light and they do just fine, however I do have large south and east facing windows so I’m getting lots of ambient light. Also calatheas need a few more specific care requirements and can be very fussy, so probably not ideal for a beginner. On succulents, I don’t know of any low-light varieties, but @fluffycrow probably does!

Also a note: *most* plants will not do their best with low light, they’ll survive, but won’t be in tip-top shape.

I hope this helps some! 😊

Last edited:
No plant is going to be able to thrive in low light conditions, but she could always use a grow light. I’m sure she could find some that would match the aesthetic of her room! Most plants do fine under grow lights.

Now, if she did compromise and open up her blind, some plants that tolerate low light are most lightly variegated pothos, (more variegation, more light needed) ZZ plants will tolerate low light, as well as spider plants. Pothos are very hardy plants and some of the hardest to kill. Most calatheas are fine with low light, mine are in the corner of my room that gets the least amount of light and they do just fine, however, I do have large south and east facing windows so I’m getting lots of ambient light. Also calatheas need a few more specific care requirements and can be very fussy, so probably not ideal for a beginner. On succulents, I don’t know of any low-light varieties, but @fluffycrow probably does!

Also a note: *most* plants will not do their best with low light, they’ll survive, but won’t be in tip-top shape.

I hope this helps some! 😊
Thank you! It does, it gives me some ideas. I do have a grow light she can have. I'll look up the ones you suggested.

Back
Top Bottom