Housing different duck breeds

lcbear13

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 6, 2013
Hi ~ I have a question about housing different ducks. I have 3 Muscovies (1 male/2females) that are about two months old. Can I add other ducks like Pekin (1 male and 2 females) and Anconas (1 male and 2 females) or will the drakes fight?

They would all be housed in a 6 x 12 barn at night and free range during the day.

So I guess what I'm asking is can three different breeds (1 male/2 females) be housed together?

Thank you

I'm curious as to why you have a drake of each breed. If you have them for breeding purposes, then separate coop/runs for each breed would be needed to ensure purebred ducklings. If they are all housed together, all the drakes will mate all the hens. They don't care about breed at all.

Last edited:
Hi ~ I have a question about housing different ducks. I have 3 Muscovies (1 male/2females) that are about two months old. Can I add other ducks like Pekin (1 male and 2 females) and Anconas (1 male and 2 females) or will the drakes fight?

They would all be housed in a 6 x 12 barn at night and free range during the day.

So I guess what I'm asking is can three different breeds (1 male/2 females) be housed together?

Thank you

Many people have mixed flocks of ducks... but the issue might be your number of drakes vs. number of ducks... 2 ducks per drake is very light when housing them all together... minimum would be better to have 3 or 4 per drake... why not set up separate duck houses? With only 3 per house you can do tractors and allow free ranging or alternate run times...

Also, if you plan to ever hatch eggs or let the ducks hatch eggs, just an fyi, but crossing Muscovy to any mallard derived ducks will result in sterile mules...

Will the new ducks be close in age to your others? I don't know if new bird integration in ducks has all the drama chickens do.

Back
Top Bottom