Housing diffrent age chicks together.. CAN I ??

secretevo

Songster
Apr 4, 2014
Ninveh, IN
We have our chicks we have had for a Lil while now. That group is 5 -7 weeks. They were moved to there outside coop with their heat lamp on at night only. Today my son and I got to babes from the the feed store, a new Hampshire red and a silver laced wayondette, they r 1 week . obviously smaller but I have a 6 week old bantam out with the other older babes too and he is super small. The new ones we got today r already bigger than him
Thanks for ur help.
Christina.

I have a mixed age flock 6 week old heritage turkey, 6 6 wk old bantam chickens, 25 broiler chicks less than a week old. Amazingly the big baby turkey is the gentlest with the little broilers, he looks like a broody hen with them nestled under his wings. He did the same with the banties when they were all a week old.

I have held two turkeys inside, a week old and a three week old, so when the next one hatches in a couple of days it will have company.

the ages all look good. some may grow larger quicker than others. I just added 25 baby chicks (week old) and separated them quickly from the 50 that are 6 weeks old. when they start running around (startled by me opening the cage or something), that's when I worry that smaller can get injured. I miss my turkeys, I might start that back. thanks.

These guys all spend the day together and night
thumbsup.gif

I just did not know if the lil ones are gonna have enough sense to take them selves in side the house for the heat light, or to go out if they want to be in the sun. and get to their food and water?? thanks

~~I just did not know if the lil ones are gonna have enough sense to take them selves in side the house for the heat light, or to go out if they want to be in the sun. and get to their food and water?? thanks

Back
Top Bottom