housing extra males before old enough to butcher?

Chickhick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2010
North Alabama
I have been reading that Coturnix quail are best when processes at 12 weeks old. If I hatch out a bunch of babies to use for meat, there will be a lot of males, as well as females. But I've heard that you shouldn't have more than 1 male in a pen with 4 or 5 females. How do you raise all those excess males without them fighting? Is the "1 square foot per bird" rule apply when you are growing them out for meat as well as your breeders?

Thanks

When my birds are old enough to sex I select my breeders and then I put the extra males in a cage together. I only give them 10 hours of light a day so they will get bigger, and meat birds only need .5 sq. feet per bird, but I try to give them more.

Quote:
So they grow better without too many hours of light? I guess that prevents the sexually maturaty/ activity just as it prevent the girls from laying? Is it okay to have the boys' cage right next to the girls' cage, or will that be too close and still make the boys fight?

I'm the current high bidder on your auction... and I am soooo excited!
wee.gif
My new incubator came today, so I'll be all ready for the eggs.
big_smile.png

It Should Be Noted That They Can All Be In The Same Pen No Matter The RaTio... If You're Going To Thin The Numbers Down To A Proper Ratio And Butcher Excess Males At 12 Weeks Or So... There May Be A Lil Squabbling But For A Short Period Of Time It Shouldnt Be Bad Enough To Cause Problems... You Just Want The Proper Ratio For The Long Term Management Of Your Flock/ Covey... Long Term Effects Or Benefits Prevent The Males From Overbreeding The Hens And Causing Excessive Wear On Your Girls As Well As Fighting Among The Boys. Short Term--- From Hatch To About 12 Wks It Shouldnt Be Too Problematic

Last edited:
You are right about the first part. They will crow like crazy if you put them next to females, but they won't fight if they are in another pen. Good Luck!
big_smile.png

They won't crow at all if they are in the freezer. Won't be eating a bunch of feed to gain a few oz's either. I weigh at 6 and 7 weeks then select breeders and process the rest. Yes, at times, I make a mistake and process a few females. But then I only keep the biggest females from each hatch for breeders.

Back
Top Bottom