Housing for Muscovies

NikiDorsey2017

Hatching
Aug 14, 2016
Michigan
We have 4 four week old (approximate) muscovies, we currently have them in a recycled rabbit cage (about 4x2x4).

They're quickly growing (much sadness) and we're looking for the best way to house them as they continue to grow!

Any and all advice is welcome!!

welcome-byc.gif
Unfortunately they do grow FAST. First off think Predator proof. What ever type of housing you decide to go with, it must be predator proof. They need enough room so they can stretch and flap their wings. Do you plan to free range them or will they be kept up at all times? Muscovies like to roost so you'll want to provide plenty of places for that.

Check on Youtube for lots of ideas about housing for chickens and ducks (the chicken ideas may also give you ideas for the ducks). I have spent some time here and there for a few weeks just looking and watching those kinds of videos.

While there may be some people that like step-by-step instructions, there are others who could look at coops and get inspired to make something on their own. Hopefully you find one of those ways to be helpful for you.

I currently let my 2 ducklings free-roam during the day (or when I'm at home) and otherwise at night, they have learned to go back into their large cage (2x3) to be put up for the night in the garage. that's a temporary solution while I work out the specifics of their coop or permanent living situation.

Back
Top Bottom