housing geese and ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tebs78, Feb 16, 2009.

1. tebs78

tebs78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    What do you use for a coop for your waterfowl? I have no idea?!

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    We have a small coop for them. It's like a really big doghouse. Really, ducks only need a 3 sided shelter so they can get out of the wind, they are very cold tolerant. But then you have predators to worry about. I never put my ducks into their coop at night until I lost one to an owl.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use a large dog kennel for the geese and ducks. I think they are 21'x11'. I cover the top of the pen with chicken wire, and connect it using hogties. That way raccoons cant get in. I cover half the top with a tarp to keep rain, snow, etc out, and I also cover one of the sides. The geese just stay out in the rain anyway, they wont go in. For the ducks I have a couple of hay bales stacked around, with a large wood frame wrapped in a tarp, laying over it, so they can go under a shelter.

4. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Right now my three I have outside go into a coop at night. I am building a waterfowl pen, though (I have 21 babies in the house to add to the pen, also). I have two large dog houses for them, and was considering building a lean-to off the back of the coop that will make up nearly one side of the pen.

Check out the post I made and you can see what I have in mind. (and give me suggestions for plants and other ideas to change it up [​IMG] )
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=134116

meri

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  5. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I have an indoor coop. It's in my art studio... I have up a ton of pictures and my plans here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=131278

I built mine to clean out easily. I cut holes in the floor and put their food/water on top of wire mesh so it wouldn't get the shavings all gross. It's working out great!

I also made the leap of faith and built them a nest box. I was worried they wouldn't use it. But they quickly got the hang of it and now lay their eggs in it every morning. But judging by the lack of poop in the nest box, i don't think they hang out in there very often. lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by