Housing Heavy Breeds in cages?

What is the reason for wanting to raise chickens in your apt? Is it to get the fresh eggs or because you enjoy them? If it's for the eggs I would try looking for someone who had chickens that free range (eggs are much better for you then just the feed fed chicken egg) and save yourself a lot of hassle while your at your apt. If it's just because you enjoy chickens then I would make them a cage like this (see below) and use pine shavings and maybe buy them some of that grass they grow for cats to eat at walmart once in a while. THey would really enjoy that!

Scoop1.jpg

Scoop3.jpg

Im raising chickens for the enjoyment of them, with eggs as a very pleasant side benefit. As for the dust and the smell, I am fully aware of both, and will be seeing if I can somehow place them outside. It shouldn't be all too hard to find a way, but Im just assuming for the worst. Also, for their being grass fed, Berkeley has a lot of parks both in and outside of campus. I was thinking of perhaps bringing them there occasionally (would perhaps take plans for a chicken saddle and see if I can mess with it to make some sort of chicken leash), though I am a little concerned all that moving may cause undue stress on them.

I'll put money on you getting sick in no time flat. I keep chickens in my bathroom until they're able to go outside. I spend a lot of time in there talking to them and playing with them. I have had several bad bouts of pneumonia (I'm a healthy (otherwise) 28 year old female) and after a recent hospital stay had a pulminologist ask me, rather randomly, if I was ever in close confined quarters with my birds for long periods of time.. I told him yes, and he explained that the dander and waste was extremely harmful if breathed in, in close quarters, constantly. I'm now on an inhaler, and staying out of the bathroom for more than a few minutes at a time. Just my two cents.

Hmmmmm, thanks for the information. I'll make sure I can find a place for the grown chickens to stay OUTSIDE before everything if finalized.

By the way, thanks for all your input everyone

Don't know about where you are there, but finding a place to rent that allows animals in an small town with a vet school and lots of agriculture is hard. Good luck on even finding one that will allow poultry.

Yeah, I still have yet to ask the manager directly, though Im hoping I can convince him that chickens wont be problematic (or perhaps convince him with the periodic batch of fresh eggs
big_smile.png
)

Either way, You should definitely wait until after you move in to make your decision, especially because you're not even too sure about your rooming situation (with the porch and all) and with your manager. You should probably meet him first.

And try to just keep in mind the welfare of the chickens it they have to be inside all day.
old.gif

Hopefully you'll be able to keep your chickies!

Good luck!

Oh, and if you do fashion a leash for chickens, patent that baby.
celebrate.gif

Also-
caf.gif

If nothing goes as planned you could always post an ad on craigslist!

Just ask if anyone would be interested in renting a slice of land to you for chicken-raising.

I can't believe you're serious. Chickens need a certain amount of room (four square feet for each bird, is it?). I think it would be cruel and weird to keep grown chickens in a cage in an apartment. Even commercial egg producers are getting away from cages and into keeping chickens outside or at least in large indoor spaces.

The dust and dander build-up is going to hurt the chickens, too, not just you. Taking them on walks in parks (where dogs are) would be stressful for the chickens. Also, it strikes me as being show-offy.

Buy a rat instead. They are nice apartment pets. You can put it in your pocket when you go out. It doesn't poop quite as much as a chicken.

if you go to the petstore they should sell iguana leashes. i have used the big ones on my hens before and i pput one loop around the neck and the second loop under the wings.
good luck
mike

Back
Top Bottom