Housing Peafowl

What are you wanting to know??, Housing??, pen size?? First of all is how many Peafowl do you plan on keeping in one pen??? and what kind of winters do you have?? (How cold does it get ?) the colder the winter the better the house, So you need to be more specific on your housing question. The more Peafowl you have the bigger the pen needs to be. A 10' x 35' pen is good for a trio of Peafowl, 10' x 10' three sided shed open to the south with a 10' x 25' pen

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello!
There is a variety of basic pea info, including housing info, in the Peafowl Stickies:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/389059/peafowl-sticky-topics-index

For the most part, peas prefer to sleep high up in trees and not in a pen, so IMO free ranging in the day and keeping them in at night is not likely to be a successful plan (others here will hopefully share their thoughts about this).

How much property do you have?

Last edited:
Ok we will have 3-4 month old birds I. A few weeks. I also have two younger birds around 6 1/2 weeks presently. Can I house them with the older pair? My young'ins are in a brooder right now. I've got them in a temp of 85. They love the heat. I am starting to lower their temp so they'll be ready for the outside temps by the end of October. The enclosure my husband built is 13' x13' and 13' in height. Thanks in advance.

Ok we will have 3-4 month old birds I. A few weeks. I also have two younger birds around 6 1/2 weeks presently. Can I house them with the older pair? My young'ins are in a brooder right now. I've got them in a temp of 85. They love the heat. I am starting to lower their temp so they'll be ready for the outside temps by the end of October. The enclosure my husband built is 13' x13' and 13' in height. Thanks in advance.
During Fall months peacocks are no longer territorial like they are during breeding season. Usually peafowl become very friendly when breeding season is over. So it should be ok to house your peafowl together. If you free range during the day and have them inside at night the pen should be plenty of space. Usually to get peafowl to go out during the day and come back in night can take a while. Since peafowl try to get as high as they can around dusk.

Back
Top Bottom