housing question

kylee2katie

Songster
9 Years
May 6, 2010
Stuttgart, Arkansas
My husband has finally accepted the fact that my ducks are here to stay: 1 pekin, 1 runner, 4 mallards, and 2 muskovy. I have had them in the following setup:
56653_img_1072.jpg

56653_img_1070.jpg

He is buying a portable storage building shaped as a barn (10 x 12) this weekend and we are going to build a fully enclosed run for them. My question is what do you do about the flooring? The plastic dog houses are easy - I drilled holes in the floor and snap off the top and spray it out with the hose each morning. I can't do that with a wooden house - how do you keep the smell and mess down? I can't spray it out every day - the floor will rot. All suggestions and pictures would be greatly appreciated!

My duck house has a wood floor, I use hay as bedding but also have very low humidtyu. THe floor never gets wet and I simply sweep out the bedding every few weeks and add to the compost.

AS a rule there is no food or water in the house. I will be adding a "porch" to the house where they can have some food and water but they won't be able tyo track it inside. THey do fine without access to food or water overnight though.

Maybe you could take a look at what I posted on your other question, pictures of inside houses . . .

I wrote about my setup a bit. If you have other questions, please let me know. It all seems to be working nicely.

Back
Top Bottom