Housing Transitions

Egg production is still good, but I'm wondering if it will wane a bit as the week progresses.
Eggs laid on the first day after move started 'processing' before the move......
....anything after that should continue they won't release an ova if stressed.
You spending time out there working around them can help relieve their moving stress.

Something odd to report today.... as I was working on painting the trim to the new place, out of the corner of my eye I see an egg fly out of the pop door - literally sail through the air, then drop to the ground where the waiting cannibals devoured it. I have never seen something like that. As quickly as I could, I got down from the ladder and opened the big door. One of my barred rocks was standing there with little bits of egg on her beak. so, not only had she knocked it out of a nesting box, she took it about 12 feet to the pop door, and somehow managed to huck it outside. A sign of stress? What can I do about it?

Was it thin shelled..and thus an easy target after curiosity pecking??
Could be stress...never happened before?
Fake eggs, upping protein, maybe isolating that bird.

Was it thin shelled..and thus an easy target after curiosity pecking??
Could be stress...never happened before?
Fake eggs, upping protein, maybe isolating that bird.

I didn't get a chance to check the egg out. I did hear what I now realize was the drop out of the nesting box (I have a golf ball in there, and thought she'd pushed that out). I will give them some meal worms and oyster shell, and then pray this week long hostage crisis ends quickly!l I know it must be hard on them after having the run of the place every day.

Back
Top Bottom