Houston do I have a problem?

KIMEng

Chirping
Jul 4, 2019
Orlando, Fl
My Silver Laced Wyandotte, Sue Ellen, bottom looks very suspicious, she is eating good, behavior is normal, however her bottom looks unlike the others. Sue Ellen's looks a bit messy. she is laying eggs about every other to every 2 days, so that is normal too she is 20 wks old. Started laying at 16 wks. I have not been able to catch her pooping so not sure what that looks like yet. Um feed is laying and flock pellets plus grass and weeds and such in the yard, some veggies of the day, and intermittent dried corn, blk sunflower seeds, whole grain, oyster shell and grit. Any thoughts, much appreciated.Pictures provided. IMG_3175.jpg IMG_3176.jpg IMG_3174.jpg

Try looking her over for lice or mites. Look near her vent and on her feathers, close to her skin especially.

There are lots of reasons for poopy butts, many are not serious. So you have too look at the whole picture to see what's going on. Hot weather can make them drink a lot which will loosen droppings and may lead to dirty feathers. Some birds just don't push droppings out as far, lazy cloaca it's often called, and that can cause dirty feathers, heavier birds seem to be a bit more prone to that. Internal parasites can cause loose droppings, you might want to get a fecal test done to rule that out. Changes in diet or eating high water content things can do it also, watermelon, cucumbers, etc. If she's acting normal and eating and drinking well, then I'd just keep an eye on her to see if that's all that's going on. If it's really dirty, and you have flies, then a clean up would be good so that you don't get flystrike (flies lay eggs in droppings built up around the vent and the maggots will feed on the chicken - very serious condition). I've had a couple of birds I trimmed feathers around the area to help keep that from happening and keep them a bit cleaner. And if her droppings don't actually look normal, that would mean perhaps more is going on. And get a fecal if you've never done that. Some vets will do it, some will not, you can also use mail in options if needed:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J5SOZ4/?tag=backy-20

There are lots of reasons for poopy butts, many are not serious. So you have too look at the whole picture to see what's going on. Hot weather can make them drink a lot which will loosen droppings and may lead to dirty feathers. Some birds just don't push droppings out as far, lazy cloaca it's often called, and that can cause dirty feathers, heavier birds seem to be a bit more prone to that. Internal parasites can cause loose droppings, you might want to get a fecal test done to rule that out. Changes in diet or eating high water content things can do it also, watermelon, cucumbers, etc. If she's acting normal and eating and drinking well, then I'd just keep an eye on her to see if that's all that's going on. If it's really dirty, and you have flies, then a clean up would be good so that you don't get flystrike (flies lay eggs in droppings built up around the vent and the maggots will feed on the chicken - very serious condition). I've had a couple of birds I trimmed feathers around the area to help keep that from happening and keep them a bit cleaner. And if her droppings don't actually look normal, that would mean perhaps more is going on. And get a fecal if you've never done that. Some vets will do it, some will not, you can also use mail in options if needed:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J5SOZ4/?tag=backy-20
THANK YOU. I have been watching her closely, she still acting normal. We are in FL and it is terribly hot and humid here and I just did change up their feed a bit. I did catch her pooping yesterday and it looks pretty normal...so I'm going to keep a close eye on her, if I see it get watery then I will take her in we actually have a vet around here that sees birds. She is quite a big girl too! not too sour how she will take me looking at her vent, we did name her Sue Ellen as she is a more feisty bird :)

Back
Top Bottom