1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hova Bator and Little Giant with fan! Better to do what?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bambikisstoby, May 20, 2007.

1. bambikisstoby

bambikisstoby Out Of The Brooder

Hova Bator still air and Little Giant with fan! What is the best to incubate and better to hatch out?

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Fan forced is easier to regulate temperature. Both are equel for hatch out once you learn the nuances of them.

3. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    I have both and have found that with either one, it takes several days for them to get where you want them, temperature-wise. So far, my hova (brand new, with fan) is pretty stable after about a week of fiddling with it, and the LG (used, still air) is still trying to get to the right temp after 3-4 days- it goes over and under, but not dead on. I expect in another day or two I'll get it regulated, too.

Additionally, I live in a humid area and the hova keeps the humidity perfectly without having to add water and the LG doesn't come anywhere near to the right humidity levels without water.

I haven't hatched yet with either, but I plan to use the LG as the hatcher. I've got 37 eggs in the Hova on day 3 right now.

My suggestion to find out which is better is to set them both up and see which one holds your temp and humidity the best with the least fuss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by