HOVABATOR 1588 Idea . . .

KatyTheChickenLady

Bird of A Different Feather
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Boise, Idaho
With the auto turner and a full set of eggs it is so darn hard to tell if there is water in the tray let alone the level of it . . . so I was thinking . . . what do you think the effects would be from adding a few drops of food coloring to the water so you could see it better? Think you might get green babies? Just an idea let me know your thoughts or solutions.

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think it would be bad, food coloring is non toxic, I think people even use it when they color their chicks for easter. Plus you would only need to add a drop or two. I think it's worth a try, if the water is an issue for you, I have the 1588, and I just add some water when the hydrometer shows it's low, and if I somehow add too much (Not usually an issue), I don't worry about it, it will go down in a day or so.

I thought of doing that, but even distilled water leaves a deposit, eventually you're just going to have a colored tray...it would be difficult at best to see the water level....if you change colors, you're just going to have an icky colored tray...thats why I didnt try it....especially yellow...

When I set up my 1588, I turn the plastic water tray over and outline and color in the bottoms of the channels with different colored permanent markers (I meant to take a pic before I finished setting up mine, but I forgot, duh). My "C" channel is red, and my "T" channel is purple. The two small square channels are green. Then I position the tray so that when I look down through the top air hole, I can access both channels with my handy-dandy funnel & extra-long drinking straw contraption (I do have pics of that!) without opening the' bator.

This is my hatcher; you can see the holes in the bottom. The top hole is to the "T" channel, and the bottom hole is to the "C" channel. For my 1588 that I use as a hatcher, I also placed a sponge where I could easily add water to it.

24456_hatcher_025.jpg

Initially, I add 4 ounces of water to "C", and then add water in 2 ounce increments as needed. For the hatcher, I initially add 4 ounces to "C", 4 ounces to "T", wet the sponge, then also add water in 2 ounce increments as needed.

I do something similar, except my trays are still clear, I use the rubber type aquarium tubing and run it out the pre-made point in the incubator where the turner cord goes out (I just enlarged it a teeny bit by smooshing it) and run two tubes in it.....and I use a "flavor injector" needle, a big needle thing, to inject two "syringes" of water into the tubes, down into the water tray, every day...it keeps the water level up just right.
On Day 18 I fill up the second tray....I watch with a flashlight, it's very visible, and fill till full...I dont even have to open the incubator except to remove the turner....

So if I put just a drop or two of say "blue" food coloring, just enough to make the water different than the clear tray against a white background, into channel C . . . do you think it would affect the color of the chicks? I am sure it wouldn't in the long term . . . but do you think yellow chicks might come out green? lo (yellow and blue make green right?)

I really believe the only way to effect the color of the chick is how the hatcheries do it, they inject the dye directly into the egg, the embryo, not into the water....you are NOT going to color the chick by putting food coloring in your water. You may make a bit of a tinting on the rest of your incubator - the humidity/air itself may spread the coloring, but I assume it would be such slight particles over such an extended period of time, it wouldnt matter??

Back
Top Bottom