Ideas for adding water in hovabator mid hatch.

ivy_huan

Songster
May 31, 2022
I'm looking for some ideas on how to quickly adding extra humidity to my old hovabator during lockdown /mid hatch

I have chicken, duck and goose eggs in my incubator due to hatch next Wednesday. My humidity is at 40% and I'm not sure if I should up it to 55% for the chicken or leave it. I know when the chicken starts to hatch the humidity will naturally go up.

My worry is that chicken eggs are usually hatched out a lot faster than duck and goose so what if the chicken are all hatched out and duck and goose just starting and humidity drop back down and goose and ducks needs higher humidity for hatching

What's the best way to safely add some water in to help with the hatching

Thank you

I'm looking for some ideas on how to quickly adding extra humidity to my old hovabator during lockdown /mid hatch

I have chicken, duck and goose eggs in my incubator due to hatch next Wednesday. My humidity is at 40% and I'm not sure if I should up it to 55% for the chicken or leave it. I know when the chicken starts to hatch the humidity will naturally go up.

My worry is that chicken eggs are usually hatched out a lot faster than duck and goose so what if the chicken are all hatched out and duck and goose just starting and humidity drop back down and goose and ducks needs higher humidity for hatching

What's the best way to safely add some water in to help with the hatching

Thank you
Did you set them all at the same time? I used a Hovabator and just opened the lid, added water and closed and my hatches were fine. Be quick, but opening to add water is totally ok.

If you set eggs all at once, the chicks will hatch well before the ducks and geese and you can just move them to the brooder. If you set them to hatch all about the same time then it should be fine. You can still move out dry chicks but again, work quickly. A friend to help raise and lower the lid may be a good idea.

Did you set them all at the same time? I used a Hovabator and just opened the lid, added water and closed and my hatches were fine. Be quick, but opening to add water is totally ok.

If you set eggs all at once, the chicks will hatch well before the ducks and geese and you can just move them to the brooder. If you set them to hatch all about the same time then it should be fine. You can still move out dry chicks but again, work quickly. A friend to help raise and lower the lid may be a good idea.
Thank you
I set my ducks n goose eggs on the 30th n chicken eggs on the 6
I think they should hatch the same time
Should I add warm cloth or warm water in ?
I also have a few more duck n goose eggs in there I set on the same day as the chicken eggs that should hatch a week later lol
I'm hoping it all goes smoothly

Thank you
I set my ducks n goose eggs on the 30th n chicken eggs on the 6
I think they should hatch the same time
Should I add warm cloth or warm water in ?
I also have a few more duck n goose eggs in there I set on the same day as the chicken eggs that should hatch a week later lol
I'm hoping it all goes smoothly
I hope you have a great hatch! I just used water, mine had a tray in the bottom with channels in it. The key is to add water to a few of those, or all of them, as more surface area means more humidity. If you don’t have those a wet cloth will work, or a shallow tray under the grate if you have that.

I hope you have a great hatch! I just used water, mine had a tray in the bottom with channels in it. The key is to add water to a few of those, or all of them, as more surface area means more humidity. If you don’t have those a wet cloth will work, or a shallow tray under the grate if you have that.
The Bator I have does have those channels. Two or three I think
But I'm wondering if it will be too high of humidity if I fill them up for the chickens to hatch or shall I fill them after chicken hatch. I'm really nervous about opening it up to fill water during hatching afraid I'm gonna shrink wrap them

Back
Top Bottom