Hovabator 1588 too hot

Salopaco

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2019
I'm trying to problem solve and having little luck. I have a hovabator 1588.... it wont come down to 100... it stays idle at 104.. the fan comes on, the red light wont blink to show optimal operating temp, stays lit. I've reset all toggles, and set to 1.. still wont budge . I've even tried turning all toggles to off.. brought down 1 degree. Do you think the thermostat is junk? I have three thermometers in it to confirm temp. All reading same thing. Any suggestions? I hate giving up... but, my only options may be to. I've considered drilling a hole thru the styrofoam the size of the red plugs to allow some heat to escape and bring to the temperature for the light to blink. We have many ducks laying and I'd like to try incubating. Any suggestions? I found a thermostat/ fan kit online for that model for 65 dollars.. but not sure also if worth moving up to the digital one and tossing this one. I hate throwing something out that can be saved. :(

Sounds like you have the old model 1588's, the one with the toggle switches. Absolutely horrible. Those new controls are much better.

It's been several years but I ran into the same type of thing you are seeing. I'd follow the instructions as best I could to reduce temperature and it would not work. Instead of a small change it would jump a lot. I only needed to drop it a degree but I'd sometimes wind up in the mid-90's. Or well above 100. I fooled with that thing for close to a week.

Its been too many years to remember details but I finally reset it to factory setting. That procedure actually worked. But instead of setting toggle #4 like they said I set #3. It worked great for me. I don't know if you've tried that but it was actually simple when I did that instead of following their instructions for adjustment.

I would not try modifying it by cutting holes, once you start down that road I think you might as well throw it away. Instead I'd call GQF, the manufacturer, and chat with them. See what they have to say about it. It could be a thermostat or something like that.

I'm trying to problem solve and having little luck. I have a hovabator 1588.... it wont come down to 100... it stays idle at 104.. the fan comes on, the red light wont blink to show optimal operating temp, stays lit. I've reset all toggles, and set to 1.. still wont budge . I've even tried turning all toggles to off.. brought down 1 degree. Do you think the thermostat is junk? I have three thermometers in it to confirm temp. All reading same thing. Any suggestions? I hate giving up... but, my only options may be to. I've considered drilling a hole thru the styrofoam the size of the red plugs to allow some heat to escape and bring to the temperature for the light to blink. We have many ducks laying and I'd like to try incubating. Any suggestions? I found a thermostat/ fan kit online for that model for 65 dollars.. but not sure also if worth moving up to the digital one and tossing this one. I hate throwing something out that can be saved. :(

I would call tech support for that brand. I had trouble with another brand styrofoam incubator and they sent me a new heat/fan unit and the thermostat for free. If that doesn’t work junk the the electronic thermostat and get the wafer style. About $33 bucks from eBay shipped. They are plenty accurate and very reliable. Thats why they’ve been used for 100 years.

Thanks for the advice.. I sent an email to the company this am.. I will also turn on toggle 3 and see if that makes a difference. That was the one pictured however I assume start with number 1 as the lowest setting...

I would call tech support for that brand. I had trouble with another brand styrofoam incubator and they sent me a new heat/fan unit and the thermostat for free. If that doesn’t work junk the the electronic thermostat and get the wafer style. About $33 bucks from eBay shipped. They are plenty accurate and very reliable. Thats why they’ve been used for 100 years.

So its interchangeable? It would just swap into the styrofoam? I'll have to look... I did reset the toggles again and turn 3 on , and that only brought the temps up yet again.. ugh

You have the manual? I’m not familiar with the toggle switch design. And you can put any thermostat you wish that will fit in the space. I had a cheap EBay digital thermostat I put in a 1602 hova Bator. After I stole the wafer unit for a cabinet hatcher I built. Like I said before I like wafer style easy to set less drama later.

The problem may not be the thermostat. The controls may be the problem. That's two separate things.

Before I took drastic measures of buying a new thermostat or controls I'd e-mail GQF and give them a chance to respond. They should have seen this before. They do not list a phone number to contact them, just an e-mail address that will be answered by a salesman. What does it cost you to send an e-mail?

If you need technical support with a GQF product, please contact us at [email protected].

Back
Top Bottom