Hovabator 1588 versus Brinsea Octagon 20

mamagoose7

Hatching
Mar 27, 2017
So taking everyone's advice into consideration I have decided to wait and save to purchase versus buying now.
The two I'm looking at are the Hovabator 1588 and the Brinsea Octagon 20 those of you who have used either would you mind sharing pros and cons of each and am I just paying for a name or is Brinsea really worth the large price difference. Keeping in mind this is just for us not using to hatch and sell chicks.
Thanks!

I have a Brinsea Oct 20 and whilst its great, the turning cradle motor can be problematic. Mine broke on its first use, and I know other members have had similar issues. I should say that I'm sure we are in the minority, but it remains a weakness IMO. The new Brinsea bators no longer use this turning mechanism and I'm sure its no coincidence.

The octagon models of brinsea are going to discontinued soon if not already.

I have both an octagon 20 adv. Without humidity pump. And 2 1588s an older model with flip switches and a digital one.

I get excellent hatch rates with both. Slightly better edge to brinsea.

If you've read a lot of the debates and info on here there isn't much I could add other than the standard stuff.

Plastic vs styrofoam
20 vs. 40

The brinsea does require you to take the bottom side of the lid off to clean it well. Since the fan and controls is behind a plastic shield.

For the 1588. If your turner would break in it you could just goto a farm store and pick up an LG turner. They will fit right in.

If you have a more specific questions that you are wondering. Ask away I'll try and answer any the best I can.

Either choice is a good one.

thank you all so much! my husband read somewhere that the hovabator has issues with the thermometer/hygrometer because of the humidity getting into them have any of you had issues or experience with that? if so please share thoughts :)

If the Brinsea Octagon 20 is going to be discontinued are they replacing with another model and what about the ovation 28 eco with automatic turner? How does that compare?

Sorry to ask so many questions just want to do the best we can as this is our first foray into hatching our own eggs so thank you all for your time and information!

Love my octagon 20 advance and sorry to see it discontinued. Always had great hatch rates. Basically check water levels and humdity every couple days and that's it. I've hatched chickens, ducks, geese and guineas. Almost wish I'd bought another to have on standby. Hopefully their new (and very expensive) models will be a quality product.

I have the Hovabator 1588 .....100% hatch rate...
smile.png
......I do not have the turner... I hand turn my eggs 3 times a day...They lay on their side..Excellent incubator.....
smile.png

Cheers!

You mean all of your eggs hatched? If so, wow!

thank you all so much! my husband read somewhere that the hovabator has issues with the thermometer/hygrometer because of the humidity getting into them have any of you had issues or experience with that? if so please share thoughts :)

If the Brinsea Octagon 20 is going to be discontinued are they replacing with another model and what about the ovation 28 eco with automatic turner? How does that compare?

Sorry to ask so many questions just want to do the best we can as this is our first foray into hatching our own eggs so thank you all for your time and information!

I just received my octagon 20 advanced 2 weeks ago they said the 40 was discontinued but said nothing about the 20 in fact it is on sale for $329+25 shipping and they offered me a 3 year warrantee if I registered on line normal is 2 years
Just my experience
Have a nice nite
Harry

Back
Top Bottom