hovabator, are they good?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Overeasyplz, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    I am building ms. Prissy's incubator model, but I found a hovabator on ebay for a decent price. Are they reliable? it's the still air model without a turner in it..can it be modified with a cpu fan?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, you can put a fan in it. We found one at a yard sale and did that. Chicks are hatching in it now. The styrobators are okay for a number of hatches,then become more difficult to clean. They all have similar components to them and the sum of those is nowhere near what they charge for them, so I do like my homemade ones as well, except that those do not fit the turner.

3. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Thanks! It's nice to get a second opinion. My mom has a little giant and we never were able to get eggs to hatch out of it.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Any bator is better with a fan, that's for sure. The LGs seem prone to temp spikes for some reason, maybe just because most of them are still air.

5. kooltex

kooltex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    I have good hatches out of my hovabator. Its a still air with a turner. Only thing I don't like is I need more room, would like to be able to hatch more eggs, and beable to put more in once I already have some started. I find eggs I want but have to wait till a hatch is done before I can order more. I like it though.

6. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I'll only ever use a hovabator... I just candled this afternoon, 4/4 good to go on day 7! No turner, no fan... just follow the directions.

7. vyshtia

vyshtia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Norco, CA
    I have the 1588 and am really happy with it. I have a turner and fan and just got done with a 87% hatch rate (26/30) with shipped eggs. It's very reliable and easy.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Another [​IMG]. It holds temperature very well. Mine is a 1602 with turner still air.

9. peeppeeppeep

peeppeeppeep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    Shasta County
    I have a hovabator with the fan and am doing my first hatch. So far on day 20 I have 12 hatched out of 30 set. It seems to be doing the job just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by