Hovabator Genesis Hatch, Feb-May! WITH CONTESTS!

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:
I just put 13 Blue Orpington eggs into the incubator and mine were tan or beige. Are you sure?

Yes, like I said these are "Test" eggs, she bred them to lay Olive Green eggs.
smile.png
She wants BYC'ers to test them out for her and, she also wants to know how many of the chicks will lay Olive Green eggs.
big_smile.png

Oh, okay! I was about to say, you are being framed!
lol.png

Quote:
Yes, like I said these are "Test" eggs, she bred them to lay Olive Green eggs.
smile.png
She wants BYC'ers to test them out for her and, she also wants to know how many of the chicks will lay Olive Green eggs.
big_smile.png

Oh, okay! I was about to say, you are being framed!
lol.png

Yes, I have orpingtons and I know they don't lay Olive green eggs!
lol.png

I put eggs in the Hovabator a week ago on March 9. I just candled all 29 eggs and can't see much of anything. But I'm a total newbie. What should be visible at 7 days?

I have a Genesis 1588 with auto thermostat and an electric turner that both appear to be running fine. Keeping water in the center trough. Was getting bullseyes in the frying pan, so I expect at least some of the eggs were fertile.

I put my first hatch in the incubator on March 9th. I tried candling today with all my students. We learned so much. The dark eggs, we could see nothing. But one of the lighter eggs we saw the dark spot moving around. It was great for my 7th and 8th graders. They are so excited.
Any ideas about candling would be great!

I plugged in my 1588 w/ my auto turners. Right now it's up to 98 - 99...it's not going any higher...waiting....waiting...waiting..
pop.gif

I have eggs coming in the morning ( I hope
fl.gif
) and wanted to have the 'bator already fired up. I may have a ton of eggs coming...just haven't heard back from the sellers.
smile.png

Last edited:
Mrs. Mucket :

I put eggs in the Hovabator a week ago on March 9. I just candled all 29 eggs and can't see much of anything. But I'm a total newbie. What should be visible at 7 days?

I have a Genesis 1588 with auto thermostat and an electric turner that both appear to be running fine. Keeping water in the center trough. Was getting bullseyes in the frying pan, so I expect at least some of the eggs were fertile.

I've never candled either...I put my eggs into incubator on the 11th and was going to candle tomorrow....I'm nervous. I can't believe you didn't see anything! I only have 13 eggs. Are you sure you did it right?​

I locked down 50 last night!
fl.gif
I was so worked up about it I set up the diswasher to run last night and forgot to turn it on. My DH was really laughing at me this morning
tongue.gif

Quote:
I've never candled either...I put my eggs into incubator on the 11th and was going to candle tomorrow....I'm nervous. I can't believe you didn't see anything! I only have 13 eggs. Are you sure you did it right?

This is my first time candling so maybe I didn't do it right. I tried again last night when the room was totally dark and did see floating black dots in 9 eggs out of 29. None of them looked veiny like the photos I've seen. Other eggs had shadows I couldn't decipher so I left them in for the next check. And some were obviously duds, with no shadows whatsoever and porous shells, and three had hairline cracks so I tossed those.

Five of the hens that laid these eggs live with the roo, but due to snow he could visit with the other four hens only a couple of afternoons before I collected the last eggs. I have a broody on two eggs in the coop and I plan to give her some incubator babies. Fortunately this is a preliminary test hatch, not one of our (hopefully) main ones for meaties and replacement layer pullets. Now that the weather is nicer Mr. Roo can spend more time romancing the other hens.

Last edited:
I am scheduled to lockdown tomorrow evening with 48 eggs ~ 5 frizzled bantam cochins, 11 blue & splash Ameraucanas and 32 EE's which are Cuckoo marans/Ameraucana x Ameraucana.

I just fired up my Little Giant forced air incubator to use as a hatcher for the EE's to avoid mixing them up with the pure Ameraucanas after they hatch. I originally set 50 eggs but tossed 2 clears ~ 1 cochin and 1 EE all the rest looked good at the last candling!

Mrs. Mucket :

Quote:
I've never candled either...I put my eggs into incubator on the 11th and was going to candle tomorrow....I'm nervous. I can't believe you didn't see anything! I only have 13 eggs. Are you sure you did it right?

This is my first time candling so maybe I didn't do it right. I tried again last night when the room was totally dark and did see floating black dots in 9 eggs out of 29. None of them looked veiny like the photos I've seen. Other eggs had shadows I couldn't decipher so I left them in for the next check. And some were obviously duds, with no shadows whatsoever and porous shells, and three had hairline cracks so I tossed those.

Five of the hens that laid these eggs live with the roo, but due to snow he could visit with the other four hens only a couple of afternoons before I collected the last eggs. I have a broody on two eggs in the coop and I plan to give her some incubator babies. Fortunately this is a preliminary test hatch, not one of our (hopefully) main ones for meaties and replacement layer pullets. Now that the weather is nicer Mr. Roo can spend more time romancing the other hens.​

Well Mrs. Mucket..
I candled my 13 eggs on day 7 (today) and I saw two clears....they were infertile and I checked to see if true...they were really infertile. I had two more questionables and the rest had a blob but I did NOT see any veins either. So...no bad smells...no blood spots or lines...I am going to check again on day 10...a friend says I should see a small black spot about the size of two eraser heads inside a darker blob. She says she only sees veins prior to day 7. So....hopefully we will both end up with some chicks!

Back
Top Bottom