Hovabator question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Katy, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have a Hova-bator 1590 that has in the past been very reliable and kept steady temps. The last couple of days it has not been keeping the temps up to where they should be. Do you think the heating element might be going bad? It is an electronic with the temp pre-set. I have been adjusting it upward, but the temps are still not holding. I have moved my eggs to my other incubator.

2. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    I dont know anything about heating elements, but just make sure your not adjusting it before it has time to stabilize.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'm allowing plenty of time for the temps to adjust before I change anything. Up until a couple of days ago it had been very steady all the times I had used it.

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Probably the T stat, not the element. I'm not so familiar with the preset ones, though. I like good old fashioned manual.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a manual one myself, like Kate. Mine has a problem maintaining temps if the room goes below 70 degrees and I have to drape a towel over the top of it, which seems to help alot.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The room (basement) is pretty steady in it's temps. I guess it could be the thermostat......I wish I knew more about this stuff!!

7. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Does your manual have any trouble shooting information?

8. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Does your light cycle on and off?

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Yes, the light cycles on and off. I've had it turned up to the highest setting for the last several hours and seems to be holding steady at 99.8. I'm afraid to put the eggs back in it yet tho.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by