Hovubator Humidity Problems

Chik-N-Crazy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Currie, NC
Ok, so this is my first time using an incubator. My temp has been pretty easy to maintain using the mercury type thermo. that came with my incubator. I have an automatic turner as well. So after reading a million posts about humidity I went to lowes and bought a them/hydrometer in one. It's digital with a little sensor thing that I put right beside the other thermo. inside the incubator. The temps. are pretty close with the mercury one reading just slighty lower than the digital, but the humidity is all over the place. I don't know how accurate it is since it's really meant for household use. Does anyone know? My hatch date was 3/3. Out of 10 that were fertile, 2 hatched completely on 3/2, through that night another 2 and on hatch day another 2 completely, and one has been working on getting out since later on last night. So we have six out, 1 working and 1 that has died in the shell after pipping. So as for hatch rate, a sure at this point 6 out of 10 I think is ok, but I am concerned that the one died in the shell and the second one might. I have added sponges, water and then last night an extra bowl of water. The humidty has been a nightmare for me. It runs anywhere from 35% up to 65%. That seems to big of a range to me. The weather here has been very cold, so we've run the heat alot, but I even out a humidifyer (I know that's spelled wrong) on a table beside the incubator!!!
hmm.png

So, my question is, has anyone else used this style of thermostate/hydrometer? I have water drops on the glass and at humid. reading of 40%. I just don't get it!!!

Doesn't sound like your hygrometer is reading right. If there are water droplets on the bator window thats a big sign too much humidity. After the hatch is completed I would look into buying another thermomter/hygrometer. The whole thing has to be set inside the incubator for good readings.

I use the cheap old Springfields and Accurites from Wal-marts. I've never had a problem with readings. The little mercury type that comes with the bators is ok if you just want a top of the egg reading but I threw mine away along time ago and rely on the digital thermometer/hygrometers. My thoughts.....

Remember your humidity always goes up with the chicks start to hatch out...

Last edited:
thanks so much for the info. I just got word from my husband that he helped the one that was trying to get out since last night. I think the membrane stuff around the hole where it had been working so long had gotten too dry. The chick is doing fine, drying out now so he can be moved when I get home this afternoon. I am just puzzled by the humidity thing. I was sure that the drops meant there was moisture but yet second guessing b/c of the hydrometer reading so low. Anyhow, for a first hatch I feel ok about 7 out of 10. I am not a big fan about helping chicks out~ but this one today had been at it since last night, so I'm glad hubby helped. Thanks again for the info. So you just purchased a digital thermo/hydrometer at Walmart and leave the whole thing in the incubator- I'm not sure I would have room~ That's why I thought the sensor on a string thing was a nice feature!
I need to get it together so I can sit another batch in the next day or two!!!
jumpy.gif

I use a little black accurite one from Wal-mart and it takes up two egg holes on my turner and that is all the room it takes up. I could even sit it on the side but can't see it very well from my windows in the lid.

Back
Top Bottom