How about a Thread for Embdens?

When I hatched them, I had no intention of keeping them, it was for the egg hatching experience, however, we quickly fell in love! I knew they would be happier on a farm than in my back yard, so at 9 weeks of age, we took them to a farm. Well, my children really wanted them back, as did I, and they are not able to graze where they are. They are currently in a chicken coop. Before bringing them there, they grazed all day long all over the yard, now, they are just in a coop, on dirt. Yes, they are given grass clippings and food and care, but I know they will be happier to be back home. We have also made the investment for them to live a long healthy life with us. Now my daughters can go back to sitting in the grass with them and singing to them LOL

well...this is my first rain raising geese and ducks. I have 4 embdens, 2 mallards and 2 indian runner. I use sand as my coop floor...and might I say----I a disgusted. there is a THICK layer of poop. so thick that it actually looks like mud. there was only 2 days of rain!!!! any suggestions? like, so bad that it smells horrendous.
barnie.gif

well...this is my first rain raising geese and ducks. I have 4 embdens, 2 mallards and 2 indian runner. I use sand as my coop floor...and might I say----I a disgusted. there is a THICK layer of poop. so thick that it actually looks like mud. there was only 2 days of rain!!!! any suggestions? like, so bad that it smells horrendous.
barnie.gif
Did you keep them locked in during the rain? Usually ducks and geese really like being out in the rain. If you provide them a little shelter to get under if the want and leave them out in the rain they will be really happy and your coop will be a lot cleaner.

When I hatched them, I had no intention of keeping them, it was for the egg hatching experience, however, we quickly fell in love! I knew they would be happier on a farm than in my back yard, so at 9 weeks of age, we took them to a farm. Well, my children really wanted them back, as did I, and they are not able to graze where they are. They are currently in a chicken coop. Before bringing them there, they grazed all day long all over the yard, now, they are just in a coop, on dirt. Yes, they are given grass clippings and food and care, but I know they will be happier to be back home. We have also made the investment for them to live a long healthy life with us. Now my daughters can go back to sitting in the grass with them and singing to them LOL
So glad to hear. Geese are so rewarding, they´ll remember you all. Have fun with them!

Did you keep them locked in during the rain? Usually ducks and geese really like being out in the rain. If you provide them a little shelter to get under if the want and leave them out in the rain they will be really happy and your coop will be a lot cleaner.

i think that what i'm going tjo do is completely shovel all of the dirt and sand out of the coop floor and replace it with small peebles. Either that or i'm going to have to fence in a large section of the yard- but i'm too scared coyotes will get them. I usually let them out all day when i'm home, but of course during the rain, i was at work.

My pair of Embdens are wonderful companions! I honestly prefer them to dogs and cats. Sometimes they even let me dress them up. My gander, Angus rocks a bonnet.

My pair of Embdens are wonderful companions! I honestly prefer them to dogs and cats. Sometimes they even let me dress them up. My gander, Angus rocks a bonnet.
How sweet, and I am thinking any guys who may visit this thread will probably not see the goose at all. Except us women we'll see the goose and he looks adorable.

Back
Top Bottom