How about a Thread for Embdens?

Hello Everyone!
I have a quick question about the swimming water of my Embden. I try my best to change their water every other day. During the second or third day for my embden, I notice that the water has a dark red tint. I have ducks that are in the pen adjacent and their water is the normal green if not changed in 3 days.

This is strange to me. The goose is about 5 weeks old and it has been going on since.

Hello Everyone!
I have a quick question about the swimming water of my Embden. I try my best to change their water every other day. During the second or third day for my embden, I notice that the water has a dark red tint. I have ducks that are in the pen adjacent and their water is the normal green if not changed in 3 days.

This is strange to me. The goose is about 5 weeks old and it has been going on since.
Maybe there is something in the water that's reacting to the goslings poo, is your gosling acting normal otherwise? eating drinking grazing?

Maybe there is something in the water that's reacting to the goslings poo, is your gosling acting normal otherwise? eating drinking grazing?

I'm thinking the same thing about the poo. Yes she is acting normal other wise and eating normally, (except that she still is not too fond of me, but we are getting there) Do you think that maybe there could be worms and she is having a little blood in her poo?? But, there ceretainly isnt any sign of worms in her poo that is on the ground!

You could try worming her but right now I am trying to figure out the best wormer for my group[flock] seems the wormer I have been using the worms are now resistant to so I'm looking at Valbazen which since you just have her would be easy to do you could put it on a bit of feed but all of mine eat all together so it's going to take a little sorting for me to figure out. But looks like Valbazen is the choice for worming now. Maybe someone else has a wormer that they are using that they feel confidant in but Ivermectin according to a vet is not working now. I always heard that because of the extreme body temp of water fowl they were more resistant to parasites. and if kept in a clean[well not filth] environment they rarely got worms.

You could try worming her but right now I am trying to figure out the best wormer for my group[flock] seems the wormer I have been using the worms are now resistant to so I'm looking at Valbazen which since you just have her would be easy to do you could put it on a bit of feed but all of mine eat all together so it's going to take a little sorting for me to figure out. But looks like Valbazen is the choice for worming now. Maybe someone else has a wormer that they are using that they feel confidant in but Ivermectin according to a vet is not working now. I always heard that because of the extreme body temp of water fowl they were more resistant to parasites. and if kept in a clean[well not filth] environment they rarely got worms.

I have some excellent news Miss Lydia. The Embden has finally taken to the ducks. I've had him/her in the pen with 8 week old cochins and silkies and she was still so scared of me and i didn't want the chickens to think i was scary as well with the way the goose was. She is finally about 8 inches taller than my indian runner. I placed her in their run today and she was not nearly as terrified with them as she was a few weeks ago. She was foraging and (kind of) swimming in the water and not sqwaking when they established pecking order. However she still HATES me with a passion.
th.gif

I have some excellent news Miss Lydia. The Embden has finally taken to the ducks. I've had him/her in the pen with 8 week old cochins and silkies and she was still so scared of me and i didn't want the chickens to think i was scary as well with the way the goose was. She is finally about 8 inches taller than my indian runner. I placed her in their run today and she was not nearly as terrified with them as she was a few weeks ago. She was foraging and (kind of) swimming in the water and not sqwaking when they established pecking order. However she still HATES me with a passion.
th.gif

That's good news, and sounds like she is beginning to fit in, so just take your time she'll maybe never climb into your lap but she'll begin to feel more comfortable with you in time.
smile.png

this is an older picture but this is how he likes to lay outside.
smile.png

This is so funny! This picture was along side another post and I couldn't see the head and I though the little thing had fallen and it's head landed in a hole. LOL I thought all I was looking at was a bum and legs. LOL

Hello! I hatched and raise an male Embden and female chinese/Touluse mix until 9 weeks of age. They came when I called and were very well behaved. At 9 weeks, I took them to a farm to live to be their forever home. Well, here we are 8 weeks later, and I'm going to pick them up to bring them back home. We have been visiting them continuously since we dropped them off. Bringing treats and petting them as much as we could. Roughly every other week. Well, our Chinese mix acts as though we never left, but now my Embden seems very distant.

When I bring them home, will my Embden be close again like before, or has the bond been broken?

Last edited:
Hello! I hatched and raise an male Embden and female chinese/Touluse mix until 9 weeks of age. They came when I called and were very well behaved. At 9 weeks, I took them to a farm to live to be their forever home. Well, here we are 8 weeks later, and I'm going to pick them up to bring them back home. We have been visiting them continuously since we dropped them off. Bringing treats and petting them as much as we could. Roughly every other week. Well, our Chinese mix acts as though we never left, but now my Embden seems very distant. 

When I bring them home, will my Embden be close again like before, or has the bond been broken?

I had an Embden that i got at about 3 weeks, and she had imprinted on humans. She wasnt around any other geese until she was brought to my house. As soon as she saw the other geese she demanded to be with them and immediately took to their ways. She has never followed me aruond like she did, but she will eat out of my hands.

May i ask why you took them to a lake and then are going to bring them back to where they were hatched? It seems as if the other geese may have tought it to be afraid of humans.

Back
Top Bottom