How about a Thread for Embdens?

I made a small hole and there's the beak! have close the vent hole and increased the water to keep the humidity high. Fingers crossed.

I made a small hole and there's the beak! have close the vent hole and increased the water to keep the humidity high. Fingers crossed.
Some goslings pip at the pointy end which remains a mystery ;) And you did the right job removing the bit of membrane where the gosling pipped. Now you don't have to worry about that egg anymore and hope for the best for it to hatch! Goslings hatched at the pointy end can have problems coming out so if it peeps a lot at one stage and the membrane is dry it's time to help but it should be fine. Wait atleast 12-24 hours ;) Keep us updated and goodluck!

Some goslings pip at the pointy end which remains a mystery
wink.png

And you did the right job removing the bit of membrane where the gosling pipped.
Now you don't have to worry about that egg anymore and hope for the best for it to hatch!
Goslings hatched at the pointy end can have problems coming out so if it peeps a lot at one stage and the membrane is dry it's time to help but it should be fine. Wait atleast 12-24 hours
wink.png

Keep us updated and goodluck!

Thank you!! <3

Quote:
If you have to help, take it slow. Wait the full 24 hours after external pip to assist. If you see any red veins stop! Gosling will hatch slower than chickens or other waterfowl. I carefully crack off tiny pieces of shell if I have a shrink wrapped gosling. I have waited to long..
hit.gif
and lost the gosling. Its a horrible feeling. I have also not waited, too soon and had one bleed from the shell. I am not trying to upset you, just save you from real grief and guilt. Humidity is a fantastic thing, good luck with your hatch!!!

If you have to help, take it slow. Wait the full 24 hours after external pip to assist. If you see any red veins stop! Gosling will hatch slower than chickens or other waterfowl. I carefully crack off tiny pieces of shell if I have a shrink wrapped gosling. I have waited to long..
hit.gif
and lost the gosling. Its a horrible feeling. I have also not waited, too soon and had one bleed from the shell. I am not trying to upset you, just save you from real grief and guilt. Humidity is a fantastic thing, good luck with your hatch!!!

Thank you! The 24 hours after pip guidelines is really good, I will keep that in mind next time. Being my 1st hatch, I wasnt able to differentiate normal wriggle and distress wriggle and the inability to tell how a dry membrane looks like drove me to make a big hatch hole for the chick 20 hours after it's 1st pip. I was able to see then that the membrane is still moist and sigh a sigh of relief. It took 4 more hours for the gosling to kick itself out of the shell but there was a cord still connecting it to the shell and causing it quite a bit of distress everytime it tries to move. I waited 6 hours later to cut the cord when I see that it's well dried. The gosling is still not up on it's feet but breathing so I m just letting it rest and re-evaluate tomorrow.

Thank you! The 24 hours after pip guidelines is really good, I will keep that in mind next time. Being my 1st hatch, I wasnt able to differentiate normal wriggle and distress wriggle and the inability to tell how a dry membrane looks like drove me to make a big hatch hole for the chick 20 hours after it's 1st pip. I was able to see then that the membrane is still moist and sigh a sigh of relief. It took 4 more hours for the gosling to kick itself out of the shell but there was a cord still connecting it to the shell and causing it quite a bit of distress everytime it tries to move. I waited 6 hours later to cut the cord when I see that it's well dried. The gosling is still not up on it's feet but breathing so I m just letting it rest and re-evaluate tomorrow.
How is your gosling doing? @chrisngo73

How is your gosling doing? @chrisngo73

The right gosling (facing camera) is the 2nd egg hatched early this morning. The one facing the back is the breech birth. It seems weaker than the newborn and just mainly lay down. But it's a strong fighter, my brooder heat plate's delivery is delayed so I prop my incubator up with some bottles so they have head room to get up, if they get up, the breech birth one seem to struggle to get up.

Back
Top Bottom